450 Trex 450L Dominator Oscillations/ESC & Motor Hot shutdonw

Gaylan

(1) I have been awhile on this build (2 years--laid it aside for some time) completed and starts out flying smooth then develops tail oscillations that I am not able to adjust out as described by turning down the Elev and Ale gains. Oscillations go from light to very rapid and severe.
(2) At about 6 minutes into a flight the copter shuts down, esc and motor are really hot. When cools down will fly but shuts off again.
( I have been flying a TREX 450 plus but still am a novice)

The 450 Domninator 3GX is set up as suggested by RC-Help on youtube 3gx Setup.
My Pitch at full is 11--mid is 5--low is -1.
Tracking looks good.

How do I check the head speed?

murankar

Staff member
Chances are its the gyro. Depending on the Version you are going to have tail issues. My only suggestion is to invest in another gyro. Between the time you bought that kit and today Align has dropped all support for all of its gyros. Align now offers A beastX variant with their kits. I also know that the earlier model BeastX units have been dropped also, these include the 5200 and the 5300 series. I am not sure what the new series is. Some other brands to consider are 3Digi, Spirit, Kbar (Vbar clone), Futaba CGY 750. Good luck. Maybe someone can help you tune it. I dont know anything about 3GX/3G/Gpro to be of any assistance.

murankar

Staff member
Rapid and extreme wagging or shaking is a result of the main gains being to high. If this wagging is happening while under load then again it can be your main gains or it could be a P gain that is to high. A slow oscillation typically is an indication your I gain is to high. That's just something your going to have to get used to on the gyro. You may get it tuned out today but next week when you fly it there is a chance you'll be tuning again. To be honest I am not sure if you have P.I.D. gains on a 3GX.

Last edited:

Smoggie

Sounds like you have the gain set to high for the rudder. Have you got rudder gain set up on transmitter

+1 on this^^^

The gain pots on the 3GX control aileron and elevator gain, these are not what causes the tail to shake. To stop tail shake you need to reduce tail gain which can only be adjusted from the transmitter.

What transmitter and receiver are you using?

Smoggie

Uri, I missed your last post while I was typing. I gain can be adjusted in the 3GX, but confusingly in the 3GX software they call is 'rudder locking gain'. It's set too high by default. I found that on anything but very big helis rudder locking gain needed reducing to around 40 (default is 70 if I recall correctly) to prevent a slow wag of the tail especially when coming out of turns.

First though the tail master gain needs reducing in the Tx to stop the shake.

murankar

Staff member
Main gains always get adjusted first.

BTW those pitch settings don't look right. They should be high +11 mid 0 low -11. Make sure you didn't have a typo or if those are your settings you might want to rethink that.

Tony

Staff member
Those are not my settings lol. My settings for pitch are +10/0/-2. I always set it up with 0 at mid stick so that I never have to think about where 0 pitch is on any helicopter that I fly.

And I agree, sounds like tail gain is too high.

murankar

Staff member
As for the heat issue it can be a few things. I would lean towards esc setup first. Timing and PWM would be the two main culprits of the heat issue. Next would be the solder joints.

Top Bottom