450 training gear question

hawk-i

I got this training set off e-bay and thought I'd get you guys opinion of it. It's a bit bulky but it's very forgiving. I've cut the throttle from two feet up and with all it's spring action it didn't bend a thing. I'm using it for nose in hovering training and it seems to work out ok but I know my machine will act a lot differently when not attached to the trainer. Think this will hinder my progress or help?IMG_20130715_224754_051.jpg

IMG_20130715_224754_051.jpg

Derek

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but in my experience....the training gear was necessary and it paid off quite well. The training gear allowed me to get familiar with what's going on and how the heli will react. I've heard that the training gear will vibrate while flying and it will mess with the gyro. After seeing what my 500 did with training gear, I do believe that the vibes from the training gear do effect the gyro.

That all being said, here is my opinion....keep using the training gear as much as you feel is necessary. You stated, above, that you are using the training gear for nose in hovering. I don't think that's a dumb idea at all. Nose in is very difficult in the beginning. I would take the training gear off as soon as you feel comfortable and no sooner. You are going to have good days and bad days, and that's just the way it is. Play around with it....take advantage of the fact that you have the training gear and get use to your nose in hovering and how the heli will react to your stick movements. Once you are comfortable and confident, go ahead and take the training gear off and prepare yourself for a better flight. Without the training gear, the heli will react quicker and more smoothly.

Just do yourself a favor.....stay on the training gear as long as you feel is necessary. It's your heli. It's your money that will pay for the parts when you "dumb thumb" it (and you will dumb thumb it someday, we all do). So, go at your own pace and you'll figure it out. I have no doubt!

Good luck buddy!!!

Stambo

I totally agree with mountaindewdude76.
Just to add a little more, when you finally take them off, use one of the CF legs and zip tie it across your skids in about the middle. Above the skids not below and leave the balls off.
That way you still have some sideways support to stop you tipping over but your takeoffs and landings are on the skids.

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Nothing wrong with training gear.. Just know that your cog might be a bit off and you might see some vibrations due to it, just don't chase those issues around. Fly, learn, and then take it off when ready.

I used them too. This seems like a 600 size training leg. And nothing wrong with it if the heli can pick the weight.

As said above .. Secure it well

hawk-i

Thanks a lot guys. The gear is a bit heavy but all my heli's can lift it. Oh and Stambo I bought a WL toys V911 also. Great little flying machine. I think that's what I'll use to train my grandson after he graduates from coaxial

orbi

yep see my post in " tail play" theres a video of my made up training gear that is invincible. I made it out of carbon rod and spread the landing gear to get max efficiency it doesnt look great but it works. thats all I know. it has saved me mega bucks. so while im still learning im still earning with the gear.! My hovers are real stady I can take it up to 4ft and take my left thumb off the throttle and she will stay there, steady, its only when you mess too much with cyclic will she start to " bobb" up and down.. you may get a little more vibration but you will benefit later when you come to take off the gear when your more pro. When I used to crash I would straighten out my booms by hammering 3 various sized drill-bits down the shaft eventually ending with one that was just a shade smaller than the boom size. add a touch of oil, it will save you $ for 5 mins work.( taper the square ends to give you a lead) if you can find some plastic brace screws these will break off and save your boom braces in a crash too.

treff

I have just refitted my training gear. I can not keep up with the cost of the main blades. I don't like the vibrations but will have to get over that. They do give you that little extra confidence. Cheers

Stambo

Thanks a lot guys. The gear is a bit heavy but all my heli's can lift it. Oh and Stambo I bought a WL toys V911 also. Great little flying machine. I think that's what I'll use to train my grandson after he graduates from coaxial

V911s are an awesome training aid. You can bounce them off all sorts of things and just stand them up and fly again.
And so stable, brilliant for orientation training. I have had one of mine for close to a year and I finally broke a tail boom the other day.
The very reason I bought a spare V911. I can still fly inside while waiting for parts.
I have just ordered another one, one of my customers at work saw me flying it around the shop and said "I NEED ONE OF THOSE"
He used to fly airplanes many years ago and is amazed at the changes nowadays.

As far as the training gear is concerned, as others have said, keep it on until you are comfortable.
Don't put any pressure on yourself to remove it.
I used a thin cane rod across my skids for a while after I took mine off but the CF rods from the training gear will do just as good.

Tony

Staff member
That looks like 500-600 size training gear. It's way too heavy for a 450. When you learn all of this, then take it off, you are going ot have to learn all over again because the flight characteristics are going to be completely different. I like the "X" gear myself that mounts solid to the skids, not sure if this is the one that rotates. Either way, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Top Bottom