Tmaxx transmission

Perrykyle05

Hey guys I have a traxxas 1.5 tmaxx and when I start my truck up and give it throttle it doesn't move. However if I put it in reverse it acts like it wanna go but still doesn't?

Tony

Staff member
First thing I would check would be the reverse servo. Make sure it's in forward and try it then. If it still doesn't move in forward, then I suspect there may either be stripped gears in there, or the little clutch inside that trans has gone bad. Check the servo first to make sure it's getting a full range push/pull, and if that doesnt' solve the issue, pull the transmission and open it up. When you do, post some pictures in this thread so that we can see.

Perrykyle05

Well I tore in to find that there are two gears with basically a metal fly weight on each of them and the weights were not opening they were stuck and I happen to have a few spares so I replaced them. Put new red buttons on the spur gear and away I went. Truck started right up and went good other ten the fact that it didn't have second gear. So I just puttered around with it then it started sounding like a gear had stripped out so I shut it down. Started back up and will go if you lightly ease the throttle but then stops. So I guess I'll get to tear back in!

Tony

Staff member
When you tear back into it, check the second gear clutch. There should be a small allen wrench hole in the gear you are looking for (it's covered by the rubber plug on the trans case). If they were stuck, I'm thinking you need to take some alcohol and clean the whole transmission. You should get second gear back after that, but I'm sure you will have to adjust it after cleaning and putting fresh grease on the gears.

Tony

Staff member
Sounds pretty much exactly like what I had to do to the diffs in teh truck that I used to have. Man, I want that truck back lol.

Tony

Staff member
No, I know its in the trans on yours. I was just stating that on mine, I had to use alcohol and solvent in the diffs to break things loose and clean them. Same as you are doing on the trans. sorry for the confusion.

Perrykyle05

Oh haha alright. I just barely got a tmaxx 3.3 and at the base of the motor before the motor mount the engine has a small crack, it won't run like this cause it sucks air and fuel exscapes out. Could I just use an epoxy or liquid JB weld to seal it up?

Tony

Staff member
You can try it, but an engine block is not that expensive. Below is the first one that i found on ebay. I'm sure you can find one a bit cheaper if you do some searching. I myself, would just get a new block. With that crack, it will not only make a huge mess, but also cause the engine to go lean really easily. Remember, the Aluminum is going to expand as it heats up, and contract when it cools. This will end up breaking the bond between the case and the JB Weld.

New Crankcase Traxxas T Maxx Revo Jato Slayer w 3 3 Nitro Engine | eBay

Tony

Staff member
Takes about an hour, including putting the block in the oven to release the bearings. Once you get the head, carb, backplate, sleeve, piston and rod out of the engine, you will just stick it in the oven at 350ºF for 10 minutes on a cookie sheet, take it out and if the bearings don't fall out, lightly tap the block on a wood block to force them out. Heat the new block up the same way, and put the crank and bearings in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Just to be clear, freezer is for 30 minutes, block is only 10 minutes in the oven. Once both are ready, just install the bearings into the block and reassemble.

concept30

I tell you i dont think theres nothing Tony doesnt know, please let this post know if the JB helps with the crack thanks

Tony

Staff member
lmao, there is a lot that I don't know. But, when I find something that I don't know, I research, purchase and play until I figure it out.

Tony

Staff member
Order arms off the internet. Get the ones that are made by RPM. They flex more and are stronger than stock. Great for bashing around. Glad to hear you are having a blast with the truck!

Top Bottom