Quad Thinking about Aerial Photography

callsign4223

Staff member
Hey guys, I have been doing more research and creating more headaches for myself. At this point, I have a camera problem. My original plan was to use a gopro as my primary camera. This issue with this is image resolution. 1080p is just not a high enough resolution for larger poster size prints. The hero3 black edition does do 4k video.

The Hero 3 Black Edition can shoot at up to 3840x2160 pixels at 15 frames per second.

This issue here is that even at that resolution a 20x30 poster size print would only be 120ish dpi, with zero cropping. This is really pushing the bottom of acceptable quality, and I am worried about selling stuff if the quality isn't there. Also a black edition is freaking $400. So here is my next thought, to setup a dual camera system. I can run a FPV system to use as a sort of "viewfinder" and have a 16mp or so still camera mounted to actually take the prints. This should provide enough image resolution for a 20x30 print at 160 dpi. 150 dpi is considered normal quality for a 20x30 poster size print. The problem is how to actuate the shutter. I have a couple of camera options in the sub $300 area, a fujifilm and a nikon. I would prefer the nikon because I believe it will be a higher quality, however it doesn't have a remote shutter release option. To take a picture you actually have to press the button on the camera. The fujifilm has an optional remote you can buy, but I don't know that I trust the quality of the optics as much. If I choose to go with the nikon, is there a way to setup a servo of some sort the actually press the shutter button? If I can't make that work, how difficult would it be to modify the remote for the fujifilm? It is an IR remote with membrane buttons. My thought was to remove the membrane and solder on leads, then setup a relay of some sort that works off another channel on the rx.

Here is a thread on another forum (Sorry Tony) showing some possibilities.

Also, if I am going to activate this via a rx channel, how many channels does a quad require? I currently only have dx6i, so if a quad requires 6 channels I might be in trouble there.

Show us your remote shutter release - RC Groups

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
There are camera mounts you can buy that have servo actuated shutter devices! Depending on what flight controller you are using I would think you would need at least 7 if not 8 Channels.

Tony

Staff member
You can do it with a DX6i, you will just have to run a Rate mode gyro and use the gyro channel for the shutter.

I do have to agree though that you would want at least 12MP in a camera if you are going to do large portraits.

Tony

Staff member
You can do it with a DX6i, you will just have to run a Rate mode gyro and use the gyro channel for the shutter.

I do have to agree though that you would want at least 12MP in a camera if you are going to do large portraits.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
FC's on multi rotors are differant than gyros on helis. A fc uses 3 gyros. One for pitch, roll, and yaw! Some have auto hover modes. Some have more features. He is going to use a camera mount with shutter servo. One channel. Then there are servos for up and down, left and right. So on and so forth. To do what he wants to do 7 8 channels minimum. Just a basic multi rotor like I'm building the h quad 6 channels are enough.

callsign4223

Staff member
Yea, I'm not looking for pan and tilt on the camera mount, just shutter release. However you are saying just the quad takes 6 channels?

Tony

Staff member
Matt, you have two DX6i's. You can use the other one to control the camera. Just an idea.

callsign4223

Staff member
Ya, I actually managed to sell the second dx6i, although the thought of just using a cheapy HK transmitter did enter my thoughts.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
You have a hard time finding a camera mount without pan and tilt. You may have to build one.

Throdel, elevator, rudder, aileron, and gyro. That's 5 then your fc Controls. One or two channels depending on witch fc you get.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Yes the brain! Lol you need a RX then the fc witch is the gyro on a heli. It controlls how much thrust the motors are putting out to control flight. There are three gyros usually on a fc. Pitch, roll, and yaw!

callsign4223

Staff member
Hmm, I thought the channels would be

aileron
elevator
rudder
throttle

I thought the multiwii would control everything else on it's own. What signals is the tx sending the fc that it needs a channel? Is it just like a rudder gyro gain channel?

Top Bottom