The Return Of The Rc-Help Trainer

Tony

Staff member
That's right, after hanging on my ceiling for over a year, the Rc-Help Trainer is back. It has more than enough motor, but not enough prop. I'm running an Alpha 450 motor (Thanks Travis) with a 10x5 APC prop (again, thanks Travis). It's just not quite enough prop for the plane/motor combo. IMO, the motor needs to turn about 1000kv more than it does now to need this prop.

I took it out into the field (my field, not the flying field) and did my usual hand launch and she just soared into the sky like I flew it yesterday. The rudder is too small for the plane so I will be making it bigger here shortly. The CoG is getting closer, but still not where I want it, it's still just a touch too nose heavy. I'm going to charge up another battery and move it back and let her rip again.

Now don't forget, this plane is over a pound heavier thanks to all the lights and the cold cathode converter, so it will fly slower than this if it's built stock. The wing is very heavy compared to what it was. But I wanted to get a good flight in with it to see if this motor/esc combo would be able to handle it. And it did quite well.

I did put flaperons on it, but this plane hates them lol. I need to do some work on it to get them to work correctly but I think I can deploy 50% flaps and really slow this plane down. Just takes some flying to get correct.

I did get video and I will post it up here sometime today I hope. It's with my glasses, so quality is not the best. I may put the keychain cam on the plane, but I doubt it since there is no way for me to secure it with needing to be taped to foam board.

Good times.

Tony

Staff member
Took it out a second time with the CG pushed back a little and she flew a little better. I'm getting a lot of wing rock at slow speeds, but that could be due to the bend in the wing from handing upside down for a year lol. I will remake the wing when I crash this plane and destroy it. But the way it takes crashes, I don't think that will be any time soon lol.

On this second flight though, I put in a dead battery lmao. It took off and quickly landed lmao. Lesson learned and we have all done it. Put in a fresh battery and it was golden. Now, I'm just waiting for my hot glue gun to heat up so I can repair the nose after a "less than perfect" landing. I'm also going ot angle the nose down a tad to help with it wanting to pull up during acceleration. But I"m happy with it, very happy with it as I was when I first put it in the air. Now, I just need the sun to go down ;)

Top Bottom