General Tail shudders when using the rudder stick - after removing training wheels

murankar

Staff member
Yes that's correct. Get the drift ironed out in rate mode first. This will reduce his much the gyro has to work in head hold. Its best to fold the tail blades in the same direction and rotate the blade grips so you can get a good visual of the blade tips. If they are not even then the tail pitch slider is not center. Once centered then hover and watch the drift. If it still drifts then adjust the linkage so it stops. That will be the quickest way to correct this.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

mooserider

Well that's pretty much I did the first day... I unscrewed the ball links more so the slider was further right. But I need to move it so much that the slider is 2/3rds the way over to one side. That just seems like it's too much to me. So neutral looks sort of like this: [-------|---]

Is this normal?

trainrider06

If your talking about the pitch controll (the little thing that slides along the tail shaft) that should be centered....did you move the whole servo forward or backward on the tail shaft??? Or is it a pro type model where the servo is hard mounted under the rear of the frame??

mooserider

It's a pro where it's hard-mounted. I haven't moved it. It's an older kit, possibly an original. I've read that the older ones had mechanical issues with the tail while spun up, and some folks converted the tail to fix it (not sure if it was a newer tail kit... in some cases I read that people flipped the tail blade grips or something like that).

I set it up such that the 'pitch control' is centered on the shaft while the servo is at 90. And then try it in rate mode test flights. It spins nose left pretty bad right away. So I did as others on the thread said, and extended the push rod length to give it some right rudder (slides the pitch control to the right if you look at the heli from behind). I did that until it was about in the position I showed above... about 2/3rds the way across the slider. At that point it almost holds straight ahead. HH mode will hold steady, but not when I give it any kind of pitch bump. It clearly doesn't have enough right rudder to hold itself properly. Something is wrong... seems like there's excessive torque coming from somewhere.

I have to wonder if I do have that older kit. When I watched Tony's videos, the slider moves the opposite direction on his tail for the correction direction, while the tail blade work the same (correct direction).

Top Bottom