250 tail set-up with zyx gyro

taizi

ive just fitted a new zyx 3 axis gyro after (i think burning out) my zyxs because it just made my tail spin really bad and then the rx blew so it never got off the ground, anyway i have set-up the new zyx and the cyclic is working perfectly but no matter what ive tried so far the tail just spins once i get to half throttle, im sure its something in the gyro set-up but just incase i cant crack it, i want to check the symptoms

it has a torque drive fitted and the front gear turns on the shaft when i move it by hand, however when the motor is spinning everything is normal

what im thinking is that when the motor gets up to speed is it possible that the tail gear is then slipping and the tail is then not moving fast enough to compensate the speed of the front blades, because it only happens at half throttle before that it is fine, the other thing is that i have no to little tail authority the tail blades move and work fine but dont turn the heli either way

has anyone had this problem with the zyx or does it seem more a mechanical problem

thanks in advance

Lee

The Gear shouldn't turn on the shaft. Can you put up a small video showing the movement. There should be a small pin going through the umbrella gear and shaft to hold it in, and the lower gear is a friction fit. Which one is spinning?

Last edited:

taizi

i cant put any vids on something to do with my network here but that sound like its the friction gear as the others have flats that the gears fit to, looks like i'll have to take it apart again and re-check, i was trying to avoid that lol:sorrow: i just got it all put together, after 4 months of not flying it

thanks Lee

taizi

well so far i worked out that the problem is mechanical, because i have fitted my second zyx to my 450 and other than fine tuning the tail gain its working perfectly

i want to ask a silly question though... normally the tail rotor should spin backwards if the main blades spin clockwise right, so if i set the tail to spin forwards (because of the way the torque drive seems to be shown) will it still compensate the main blades, or does this really matter as long as the tail is spinning fast enough??

hope im not over thinking this its just that all the pics of the torque drive show the tail rod gear on the left of the tail unit but if i put it there the blades will spin forwards, so i have it on the right but i have had the tail rod come out of the bearings because of the rudder movement, am i just being a numpty or is something wrong here

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

Have you got your tail unit upside down? A quick pic will show me yes or no. It shouldn't be possible to put the tail shaft in the other way, because then you whole pitch slider unit would be on the wrong side.

Westy

LEGEND
Tail rotor should spin up into the rotor wash. Make sure you have you top blade (with a blade pointing to the sky ......) grip (that attaches to the slider) Trailing.... (FACING TO THE REAR OF THE HELI) ... Not LEADING

Trailing tail blade grip.jpg

Trailing tail blade grip.jpg

Last edited:

taizi

Picture.jpg

today i moved the gear from the right to the left side of the shaft but havent tried it yet, the blades now turn forward, which i dont think will change anything but im running out of ideas, the heli was flying great before i changed the head and drive unit (if it aint broke dont fix it lol)
i have swapped the tail servo for an old one just incase its that (im just trying things and ruling them out etc), i have movement in the top gear of my mg90 servo where the horn fits too and its possible that something got damaged when i was setting up the other zyxs
if nothing has changed when i try it tomorrow, i will strip everything out including the main gear and rebuild it
thanks for the suggestions guys

Picture.jpg

Top Bottom