450 Tail servo screws

pavotibio

Hi everyone. I´ve been trying to build my Trex 450 pro 3GX and I got stuck one more time. Now it´s cuz of some screws. According to the manual, I am supposed to use the screws marked T2 6x6mm "Socket button head self tapping screw."
2012-12-16 23.45.46.jpg
So I did, but they are not tight (please excuse my English) I could keep screwing forever. There are not other screws left that could fit. I´m really lost and a little dawn at this point. I´ve already followed Tony´s tutorial (kinda my Obi Wan Kenobi) and read Marius' step by step guide (very useful and entertaining)
I would really appreciate any advice.

Mauricio

2012-12-16 23.45.46.jpg

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
If it hat keeps screwing in, it probably stripped that plastic gear... I don't always recommend it, but you could put a little wick of thick superglue .. Very small amount on be threads and screw it in carefully till it touches the servo horn.

Let it dry and your good

If not you'll have to buy another set of gears for this servo I am assuming is ds520 and replace that output gear :)

That's the right screw by the way. Just be slow and careful about these self tap screws that go in plastic holes :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

pavotibio

Thanks for the answer and the advice. The piece I was screwing the servo in was that square one where it is mounted. It needs 4 screws with its washers. Only one of the 4 screws was tight. the others may have stripped the threas as you said. I'll try to apply some glue and put the screws again.
Thanks again coolgabsi.

Tony

Staff member
Post a pic of where you are trying to put this screw in. You can get some longer screws with nuts and mount it that way if the plastic is stripped.

zenmetsu

I think he has a plastic frame around his servo cut-outs in the carbon frame. My 500E was this way. I needed longer screws since my servos were too long to both fit in up at the front of the heli, so I got some #4 self-taping screws and those worked very well in place of the M2.7 that were provided.

If this is what he is talking about, he can always use a larger screw. If the holes get blown out from overuse, however, you can just throw a machine screw through the hole and secure it on the back side with a nut.

pavotibio

Hello again.
Yes, I was talking about the frame the tail servo is mounted on.
I borrowed this picture is from Stokke´s guide. I guess what I'll do is getting some long bolts and nuts to fix the servo in its mounting.
Once again, I apologize for my poor English. i'll try making better descriptions in the future.
Thanks guys!
servo tail.JPG

servo tail.JPG

murankar

Staff member
If you do use nuts to hold the bolts try and use nylon filled nuts. They so not require thread lock. This could be a better option since there is plastic there.

pavotibio

If you do use nuts to hold the bolts try and use nylon filled nuts. They so not require thread lock. This could be a better option since there is plastic there.

Thanks, I hope I cand find those here.
I really appreciate the advice and help people in this forum are giving me. It did´t happen that way when I asked for help in a local forum here in Chile.
I will be making more questions tho and hopefully, posting some pics and vids of my trex one it is finished.

Mauricio

stokke

That bracket for the tail servo is very easy to strip out. I kind of stripped one of the holes myself on that build, but the screw was snug so I just left it.

If it was me; I would add a teeny dab of glue into the hole which is stripped - then use the self tapping screw to make new threading.

pavotibio

That bracket for the tail servo is very easy to strip out. I kind of stripped one of the holes myself on that build, but the screw was snug so I just left it.
If it was me; I would add a teeny dab of glue into the hole which is stripped - then use the self tapping screw to make new threading.

Hi Marius. Yeah, that´s what happened. What kind of glue should I use here, Stokke?
Thanks 4 the advice.
Cheers

Tony

Staff member
Never say your sorry, I don't allow it in this forum lmao. Kidding, but there is no reason to say your sorry. English is not the first language of a lot of members on here including Stokke (that I know of). YOu are doing just fine in your speaking and typing bro!

I wanted the picture because there are a lot of different plastic parts on the heli. I just had to make sure what one it was. Now that I know you have the exact same heli as Stokke, I can narrow it down on further questions.

I would do as stated above and just put a VERY small dab of thick CA (super glue) in each of the holes. Make sure it's not enough to get on the servo and glue the servo to teh mount. Then, put the servo on the mount and screw it down LIGHTLY. Just enough to hold it.

If that doesn't hold, I don't know about over there but here it's pretty cheap to replace that mount. Now you know though that it takes only a light touch to tighten these bolts down.

Don't feel bad, even on the one I had I stripped out one of the holes not knowing just how soft the plastic really was.

Another thing you can do to get away from the gluing idea is to put a very small piece of wood in there. This will make the hole much smaller and allow the screw to bite more plastic. Thus will allow it to tighten down on the servo. Something like splitting a tooth pick in quarters (1/4). I have done this before with great results.

Let us know if we can help any further.

stokke

I would use standard CA, and without any kicker (spray to speed up curing). I would add a TEENY WEENY drop in the hole from under the bracket (so not in from the direction where the screw goes, but under it). Then leave it to cure - when cured gently install self tapping screw.

ca.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Letting it dry is a great idea. Pretty much rebuilds the hole and does what I described above with the wood.

Top Bottom