600 T-Rex 550 DFC Build - ESC & Motor wire lenght short

Doum066

Greetings guys,

I'm having a hard time to put in my motor and ESC.... The Castle Talon 90 doesn't come with the 3 wires connection to the motor, so we don't have much room to play with, if i install the ESC on the side, seems like i won't have enough wire to plug in the battery, if i install the ESC a little bit more on the front/nose, well it's the wire to connect to the receiver that get short... How did you guys fix this, if possible please post pictures, it would be really appropriate.

That's the kit i'm building.

T-REX 550E DFC Combo RH55E02XW | RotorQuest.com - Best R/C Helicopter Source in Canada

Thanks

Doum

Tony

Staff member
If I'm thinking right, the ESC is to be mounted under the battery tray. If you are running the 3GX, face the wires to the front and you should have no issue reaching it with the ESC wires. Hope this helps.

Doum066

You're absolutely right Tony, they show to mount under the battery pack in the manual, but i wasn't sure since on Castle website, they say to mount it in a place with airflow, i'Ve also read on a forum that even on their website they show it mounted on the side as seen in the following link. Kinda get me confused and i didn't liked the idea to have it on the side but in front as their picture, if a crash occurs didn't liek the idea it might get hit on the front. With all the horror stories i'Ve read with Castle ESC, i prefered leave it in a open spot with lots of airflow.. people really have the way to scare others :) That's why i decided to post here, seing peoples installations.

I'm using again a AR7200BX but it's almost the same size as the 3GX, i think the way i mounted it, all wire will be fine, i simply have to fix the packs facing down so the wire gets on top and same sides as the ESC... let's just say fixing theh ESC is was took me more times on this buil, but it's almost finish, will post pictures of the new borned baby later on. :)

Castle Creations | Talon Series Controllers

edfdfdf.JPG

heli-maniac

When I had a Talon 90 on my 550 it was mounted under the battery tray and had to use a ext.cable to hook it up to the ar7200 mounted down inside the frame
The Talon gets Hot so went with a YEP 100 esc stays nice and cool now

Tony

Staff member
I was going to say they mounted it like that for business reasons, meaning, you can see it and their name. Look at the position of the battery in that picture, it's not facing the camera. However, it's the same color as their ESC, That is advertising right there lol. However, anyone that has been in this hobby knows that is a Pulse battery. Love those batteries.

I was also going ot say just mount it under the battery try and test it until I read Jesse's post. If it gets hot, then might be best to mount it to the side like that. As stated, you may have to run an extension on the servo wire. But I'm like you, I don't like having electronics on the outside. They are ugly out there and can be damaged in an impact.

heli-maniac

For it to get any air flow it would have to be mounted on the side under the main gear . mounted on the front like the picture shows it it is still in side the canopy

Doum066

Thanks for the replies.

You're right Tony, it seems like a marketing picture indeed... i should have known better as a graphic designer :SSS lol Well it didn't came to my mind because lots of picture i found on forums and stuff was with the ESc mounted like that or on the side... So after lots of times and fiuring out how to install it trying to save as possible any extensions.. and i finaly got it, here's a picture how it is installed for now. No extensions nedded and motor wires doesn't seems to have much stress, wished the hole int he frame was a bit bigger, but i made a few turns with electric tapes over the heatshrink there was on the wires.

ccccccc.JPG

ccccccc.JPG

Derek

Nice job buddy! That's exactly how I have my ESC mounted on my 500. Granted, your ESC is bigger. Your heli is bigger and FBL but it's done the same way. Here is a video that I shot last night. I wanted to try and help and show you what I did but since there were so many differences between our two heli's, I didn't upload the video.

I know it's late, but here is my video:
ESC Placement - YouTube

Doum066

Wow cool Moutain, i really appreciate doing this. :) Your bird looks pretty clean with the wiring, nice bird. :)

Yeah i have my ESC installed the same way on my 500 as your as you can see on the pics here, i think it's a great place, i had the ESC on my 450 mounted under the battery tray as the guys at your LHS told you, but i prefer it on the side as you did. The main diff between our 500 ESC and the Talon ESC is that it doesn't have wires coming out of it such as the ESC on our 500, the ESC has 3 female bullets on it, so instead of having a few wire inches coming out the motor and a few inches coming out the ESC and connectings those wires, you only have a few inches coming out the motor only and plug those 3 wires in the ESC itself, that was the challenge.

Once again, thanks for the vid. :)

dddddd.JPG

Dominic

dddddd.JPG

Derek

That's awesome, buddy! I"m glad I could help. I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of people on this site, so when I can help someone, I'm really happy.

Take care and good luck!!!

Doum066

Well guys, here it is, finaly done, this bird gave me some trouble on the way, and lots of misadventures occured with this bird.... but it's done. TX setup done, BeastX set up done, if weather's clear tomorrow, saturday, i'll be able to spool it up and see how it goes, hope i can finish it up saturday, since sunday it's our Funfly, so i won't have much time to play with it... I find the servos singing a lot on this bird, gotta say the blades at this side begins to be heavy for the servos... it'S a small « humm » sound, not a scrathy working sound, i guess it's normal... tje manual get's a bit sometimes confusing, lot's of notes on holes to use for servo horns, swashplate inner ring.. hopefuly i used the right holes and right ball size... One thing i really hate about this build, it's the tail servo housing spot... On my 450 it was back on the bottom and outside the frames, on my 500, on the tail boom, and his one, is back on the bottom, but inside the frame, so when i installed the servo mount at first, i didn't realised in was way too narrow in between the 2 frames, and i'Ve never came across any notes on this in the manual, so i never realised the horns were actualy way longer than the width in between the 2 frames, so first time i plug all to set the BeastX, while a was reading pages of the manual, it took about 2 min, then i started to ear a sevos buzzing like hell, and realised it was coming from the tail servo, then it smelled and was fraking hot... then i realised the servo horns was stucked since they couldn'T turn.... so guess what happened, a burned brand new servo, had to order a new one... so what i did, is, i used a Dremel and grind out all 3 others arms from the 4 arms horn, because even in lenght it's close fit, the TT front gear plastic housing droping in a little slope for the screws is also obstracting one of the arms.... So don't be as stupid as i was :p take those 3 other arms out, i'll join a crappy picture (IPhone pics aren't always good :)) of the servo and some of the end result of the build... got to say when besides my 500, the 500 looks small.. impressive :)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.JPG5.jpg6.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.JPG

5.jpg

6.JPG

Doum066

Yep, will get a video of that, but before i've got to fix her tail heavy issue, from all the readings i've made last night, seems to be a problem with the latest 550 versions, due to the 600 boom, TT and all the 600 stuff back there, some even went back with the 550 tail stuff, guess i'll try to find something i can stick under the bottom plastic frame, some added deadweights inside the canopy, but i don'T like the fact it can come loose and move around, at least under the frame, if it loosen, it'll drop...

I use Gen Aces 5000 packs, some uses Gen Aces 5300 and still have he issue, when i hold her by the head horizontaly to check the COG, the tail goes from 9 o'clock when i release her and stop at around 5 or 4 o'clock... :S

kenkadish

Just about to start my build of my 550 DFC, and found this thread very useful with regard to the Talon placement issue. I have secured 2" extensions for the three motor-esc wires, and am hoping this will allow me to place the esc where I want and not have wire length issues. Not sure how much extra resistance, if any, the extensions will cause, but I guess I'll find out :) Hoping to put the esc on the side forward of the motor, right under the battery.

Tony

Staff member
I highly doubt you will notice any difference in power due to more resistance. I would be more worried about there being more places for the wire to pull apart than I would about resistance.

Top Bottom