500 T-Rex 500 Odd behavior

Westy

LEGEND
when you put the 2 tail blades on the same bolt ... can you see any gap between them? (hole not perpendicular with the blade - drilled on an angle)

Doum066

Well i simply use the CF blades for now, works like a charm. I do have a weird question though, i started to do more and more fast forward large circuits flight, when i take canopy out, i can smell how hot the motor is, is it normal? Since i got this used, i nver had the feeling how it was new and since it has who know's how much miles to it. The only new one i had was my 450, but i sold it and i wasn't flying it as much as i am with this 500. Is smelling a normal thing when you get close, let's say near the blades, and how hot should it be? I don't recall my 450 motor being hot.

I so use a 2650 mah 6s Turnigy packs. Average flight are 4,5 min. Is my headspeed too high? Idle up is flat 95%. Or am i being too much cautious still? :)

Doum066

Here's some more details on what's the heli is made of :

Motor :
RCM-BL500L Outrunner motor
500L Brushless Motor(1600KV) RCM-BL500L KX870001A
Align 500L Brushless Motor 1600KV RCM-BL500L KX870001A - Cermark

ESC :
RCE-BL60G
Align 60A Brushless ESC Governer Mode RCE-BL60G KX870002A - Cermark
http://www.espritmodel.com/kx870002ta--align-rcebl60g-brushless-esc.aspx

Battery PAcks :
Turnigy Nano-tech 2650mAh 35-70C 6S
Turnigy nano-tech 2650mAh 6S 35~70C Lipo Pack

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot about the pinion, i'm using a 13t pinion with 162t main gear http://www.rotorquest.com/product_info.php?products_id=6500
and the heli is the T-Rec 500 CF, same as http://www.helituning.com/index.php/review/kits/231-t-rex-500-build-a-review.html

Doum066

Well i did some flights tonight, a friend had a temp gun, second pack flight, unless his temp gun is not working properly, temps after second pack was around 170 celcius, after about 5 min brake, then third pack in the air, after flight, was around 190-195 celcius....... What should be an average temp, or was is the around failure temp, i couldn't find much info so far... should i get a brand new Scorpion, is it around burn up time?

- - - Updated - - -

Unless i've missread the gun and it was set in F rather then C... because i doubt i would had been able to touch it if it was celcius... i'Ve come to a post that been said,

General rules for brushless motors.
180F and below is good and cool.
181-200F is or but considered hot.
Over 200F and you are headed for a burnout.

Is it right?

murankar

Staff member
I am not positive on the amp rating for a 500 size heli. 60 Amp should work, just to verify look at a 500 super combo and see what align pairs with the 500mx.

Another thing to look at is a main hobbies. Look there to see what they recommend for that heli. The description should have a list of needed parts.

Doum066

That's what i did, i didn't take any chance, i order the 500MX and the ESC that comes with the Combo using the 500MX, my huge orders came in, new 500 Motor and ESC, some upgrade part, and most of all, my 500E DFC kit :p Unfortunately they called me yesterday to warn me that while making all was in, the ESC was missing, they will ship me the Talon next week... and they forgot to put back the manual inside the box :( But, most of all, i ordered the Without 3GX system, since I'll be using a Ar7200BX... but for some reason, they put on 3GX unit in the box... and i for sure paid for the Without 3GX version.... I can't wait to start building this new baby. Gottas solder the deans and connectors to the 500 ESC though, so no flying for this one either tonight.

Doum066

Damn i find my question stupid, but i rather feel stupid asking them, than keeping on being stupid without asking :)

I'm a bit confused witht he pinion thing, RPM and so on, i did find some calculator but... I try to understand the power collocation reference works, as you can find in some manual or the little paper that came with my 500mx, .. does it means that when at hover, does it mean i must have a +5 positiv pitch and a TC of 0/50/60/85/100 abd when at idle up, when i get 0 deg pitch at 85% throttle, it does 2830 RPM, if at 0 deg pitch i'm at 100% throttle it gives 2980 RPM, when at either +12 or -12 pitch at 100% throttle it gives 2750 RPM?

I don't get it because 0/50/60/85/100 doesn't makes a nice smooth curves :S

aaaaa.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

So far i'm only doing circuits, fast forward flying, nothing yet 3D, i do have a 12t and 13t pinion, i'm using 2650mah 35-70C packs, my idle up TC is flat 95%.. should i use 12t or 13t for my kind of flying... pitch curves are around -8/-9 deg neg and around +11 deg positiv...

aaaaa.JPG

Doum066

Great, finishes installing new motor, new ESC, installed the 12t pinnion, hope i can try it out tomorow, 2 days and 2 weeks vacation, hopefully i will be able to start or even complete my 550 build. :)

Doum066

Well tried 2 packs yesterday, no more vibration, nor more flicker or «shrilling« sounds.. dunno how to say this in english.. after 2 packs, motor temp was 89 deg. F. versus my old motor after 2 packs, around 190 deg f. :) new motor, new esc and new metal tail rotor blade holder... i can now start to buil my 550. :)

Top Bottom