T-rex 500 GF maiden

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
here's the Video of my t-rex 500 maiden with the FG red frame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Looking good Chris! Do you have expo set? If so what is it set at. If no expo then you want to lower your throw. it seems you are fighting the heli. it must be some really unlevel ground..I saw you picked up your bird and moved it a few times.

idon'tknow!

Yes I have 25% on all the control surfaces except rudder, the first time it made a landing out side of the cameras view the swash wasn't level.... so I just leveled it my eye out there. However, I mean to properly level it today... I was to inpatient yesterday to remember everything. The main reason for moving the bird a few times was;, I don't know if you could see it but the grass was rather long, so I was just moving it around to the different bumps and thin areas in the grass seeing which was best... I don't think anyone can see it in the video but the back half of the tail boom and all tail rotor was green. ;)

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I see! it will suck to strip gears. trying bringing your Expo down a tad bit and see how she handles. keep up the good work.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Thanks... does 20% sound ok??? Thanks in advance.

20% is fine..the feeling in your hands, if 20 still feels like your fighting the bird.i mean if it takes too long to react when bird is going right and you give left stick then bumping down expo until you get that feeling of control. try 20 and if you got good control then practice with that and then bump down again later, but be careful if you have your servo endpoints at 100% the reaction is going to be quick also what is your pitch setup at?
Besides hover you need to work on landing..you are coming down way to fast. set - pitch at least at 6% also practice hitting TH once you are on the ground and let the heli come to a stop, then pull back to full neg.

Last edited:

idon'tknow!

pitch curve in NORM is 37,44,50,75,100. STUNT, 0,25,50,75,100, and HOLD is the same. also I forgot to mention it in the video... Yes landing has always been tricky for me, and that was the first time I've tried to land under power since February, I would usually just bring it to around 1-2 feet off ground then hit TH. I guess it's a very good thing I made the investment of a gorilla gear... I will try next time to land softer... I don't know what it was, but later on in the video some switch must have flipped, and last few landings were really hard. I don't know if you noticed but in the video (don't know exact time) but one of the landings out of the screen when it spools down you can here the tail rotor hitting something, than it sorta starts spooling up again for a split second; well that thing hitting the tail rotor was a piece of ply wood did a little damage to the tail blades... than if you noticed next time I spooled up there was a small chirp, well that was caused by a the main gear that strip a tooth when I accidentally hit idle up when it landed near the ply wood, thankfully hit TH before it could spool up much, but in for a new main gear. Hope to be back up soon, shouldn't take long for a main gear to get here... but going to have to upgrade to the slant main gear system, there all out of stock of normal main gears.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
when you mechanically set up your bird was it set for linear curves and then you aligned everything? your curves should be the same as the IU1. what is your pitch set at?

idon'tknow!

not sure... don't have a pitch gauge... all i know is i'm getting some where over 10 at full throttle and the same amount at the low position only with a - to it. I got my head used, so all the linkages were all set, I was just told what pitch curve to hit it with.

Tony

Staff member
OH, you need to get a pitch gauge. They can be had for $5 on ebay and they are a MUST HAVE tool on these helicopters. That thing will be much more stable with the head setup correctly.

idon'tknow!

what sorta pitch gauge? a digital one, or just one of the cheap ones? I think my head is set up right, or very close to it, it looks like this at 50% kx017008a_3.jpg Maybe this will motivate me to buy that tool kit with one... hopefully ;)

kx017008a_3.jpg

idon'tknow!

well I was just finishing up some cleaning of the shop that I started yesterday.... and looked into a old box of random stuff and saw this..... is this luck or what? maybe I should wish for a goblin 700 ;)

Thinking back I see that it must have come with my Schlüter superior.

IMG_20130727_070329_035.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That will work until you start getting into some harder flights. For that, you will want about 12º-13º of total pitch. But, 10º is fine right now. At least you cna set yoru head up properly.

idon'tknow!

I found out that, that pitch gauge could get 20 degrees in in both negative and positive direction... the top edge of it can slip up 10 degrees, on top of the 10 that you can get me sliding it makes 20 :)

Top Bottom