500 T-Rex 500 chipped blade

Doum066

Greetings Guys,

As the new season if finaly going (even though we get rain almost every day and full blue sky every day, yes huge rains ans huge sunny sky same day for a while :S) I start flying, as my second season seriously in the hobby. TRaianed all winter long ltos and lots of hours trained this entire winter, i start traning in real what ive trained in the sim. starting with autorotation... as autorotation is a tricky trick to train since it'S sucess or fail. Out of 20 rotation and moving rotation (what i cal going in for a lading circuit and autorotation as moving foward and stationary autos, gainging altitude and doing autos) all went not bad for few tries. The thing with autos is, the higher you autos, the more RPM you gain as droping, but as we al know is scary at first doing it high. so to make my long story short, out of 20 all went not bad at all, some with a little bouncing on touch down and some with a little sideways movements which is what scares me most, to tip over, so my last one is what happened, landed and sligtly tip on it's side, so with the few RPM it has left at the end of the autorotation path, it didnt do much damage since there was not much rpm left going on the blades, but jsut enough to get a blade bounc back and hit the tail boom and make a small kink int he boom, nothing major to cause fricton with the drive belt going inn and it wasn't bent, but since i had 2 new, i replace it, and as the balde near the hole for the grip holde,r touched the blade grip and made a small chip (as you can see on the following pictures) i did some quick reseach as to know what to do and i came across a thread here that someone asked if he should repair or get new ones, and it was way much more dmg than mine, but as tony said, alays replace and staed a story about his ex adm here consequences of using dmg blades, i decided to get a new set, but, should i recycle it, or simple never use it no matter small dmg there is? As it might had suffer some dmg on it'S lenght where for up side and bottom side sticks together or any parts inside as there is lead and wood inside and might cause a balance off?

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

pvolcko

That's a tough one. I've used blades with slightly less deep blade grip digs with no issues. Those look pretty substantial though.

If you want to try using them make sure to saturate some thin CA into the area. It will wick into the cracks and crevasses and strengthen things up pretty well.

Stambo

Is the potential injury or crash really worth saving $20 or $30.
I think you have your answer. :)

Lee

A 300MPH dagger is going to end badly.
I have flown with slight blade grip damage to a blade, but thats quite a lot.
Def I would trash that one.

stokke

I'm currently eating main blades for breakfast. I have flown with similar cracks without problems - I do this due to the rate I'm consuming mains, I just have to "get my moneys worth" before I eventually (typically sooner than later) break the blades off completely. But if you can afford it, replace them for safety sake.

Dirk

Agreed. I would not trust those blades. You never know what damage lurks deeper inside.

Top Bottom