450 T-Rex 450 Pro DFC.... Not until the fat lady sinks....

Doum066

Finally i was able to properly fly tonight, a bit windy, but i found a nice place, less windy besides my other spot that was mainly affected by winds coming from the acres of farmer's field... after a pack, still nervous, i began to feel more confident.. starting to move it forward, stabilizing it, bringing it back tail in... hovering tail in... since what makes me nervous is sudden gust of wint with their translational lifts... i decided to get used to this by simply apllying sudden left and right aileron to mimic this and get use to it... it did work... i started to feel way confortable at the point i decided to fly nose in (first time since my crash :)) I then realised, for some reason... funny as it can sound... i feel way more confortable flying nose in than tail in.. i kinda get less nervous when wind surprise me as i am nose in and when the heli start drifting i restabilize it.... weird :)

I so decided to do some, forward, stabilise, turn the heli 180 deg. only with rudder, and bring it back nose in, stabilize and repeat... i was even confortable enough that i flew nose in, then while still being nose in, simply doing a 90 degrees counterclock wise, taking the bird from my 12 oclock up to my 9 oclock keeping the nose in with rudder adjustement and applying right aileron to move the bird on it's side..... you can't imagine how i feel now.. gained some confidence..... those 5 packs really passed quick :p

I had to share my joy with you guys.... so basicly this is what i'm gonna do as exercise... until i can do those maneuvers properly without being nervous at all :)

The only poblem so far i found is, when i'm going forward, the bird seems to drift on it'S left... i guess it's normal... just gotta found how to adjust this with the BeastX.

pvolcko

Congrats!

In forward flight, all else being equal, there will be a tendency for the heli to bank and track left due to translational lift. As the rotor disc moves forward through the air the right side of it will effectively see higher airspeed than the left, causing the right side to have more lift and thus to tend to bank left. However the flybarless controller should be countering this banking tendency. Since it isn't directed movement it should counteract the bank to maintain level attitude, assuming your cyclic gain is set correctly. This will leave only the tendency for the tail rotor thrust to push the heli to the left, which you should counter by flying a slight amount of right bank, even in hover.

And, of course, make sure you aren't yourself accidentally sticking a little bit of left bank or left yaw into it. I was swearing my 550X's tail was blowing out on collective bumps. I now think it was me accidentally pushing right or left on the stick as I was doing the aggressive collective changes. :)

Doum066

Well everything was mostly centered, i've picked my new swashplate on friday, and i brought my bird to the Hobby Shop, he's into the hobby for a while now, over 15 years and i wanted to check the bird out since it was my first one... the only thing he found was my tail rotor rudder, it was off-centered a bit, besides that all was fine, stable bird... so i changed my swashplate (hit hard on crash and the bearing shield on the bottom felt, and all the little bearing balls was exposed, so i decided to change it... and i adjust the rudder control rod to center it as he said... i haven'T realised it was that off-center... i had to turn the ball link around 3-5 full turn...

So it's flying well for now. a little womble on the tail but again, this time might be the gyro fighting the small breeze... it's amazing that, with everything, when something breaks, that we after that see allt he little stuff and think it's broken again :) So for now, i might see on a breeze less day if it does it my gyro gain is now down to 62, he adjusted it..

All that to say that since my crashed i just did tonight my 30th pack (i average fly each pack 5 min) but i finaly lost my shaking hands when flying, and being nervous.... i finaly see that i might finaly be gettign somewhere outside the sim... i can now easily fly nose in, hover in all direction, slowly turn using rudder only to get nose in, and doing it slowly on spot to keep it stable so it doesn't drift etc.. to control the bird as i want it to fly, now how it wants to :p And when it drift now, i am not paniking anympre, way more confident.. soon, but i'm not in a rush, i wil finaly get the vid on here of my first circuit. :) But i rather go slowly and safely.. doing basics on and on until each stuff i do i get confident, and not stresses or trembling :) I even did my 5 packs tonight, int he same parking lot i go to, at night and with the parking lights, i was confident enough to keep it in the light spots (there is so many in that parking that i get a good large zone that lights overlaps) I'm starting to realize that i might be more a F3C type guy that 3D for now, i love so much flying and controlling the bird as i want it, and try to make nice moves... future will tell. :) You can't imagine the thrill and the fun i have flying nose in :) i think i do more nose-in hovering that tail in...

I just felt like sharing the exitment. :)

Thanks again for all your hint and tips to all of you... this forums is definetly my favorite one :)

Doum066

Well i had a few thoughts about my slight little wobbling tail... i came up to the fact that either, i needed a little more throttle to give enough power for the amount of pitch, or the gyro gain had been lowered a bit too much on my remote... so i raised it from 62 to around 65.. and voilà perfect tail reaction... and since i'm getting a bit more used to the new settings since the crash, no more shaking really feeling relax now, so i gradualy change my t-curves, so today i went from 0-60-75-75-75 as normal and 75-75-75-75 as IU, tp 0-60-78-78-78 and 78-78-78-78, in a few days i'll raise it to 80... i'm really getting to it now :p no more paniking when it drift, moves as i turn nose in or what ever using only rudder... i'll show this bird who'S the boss :p It was raining tonight, and since i wanted to try my settigns without wind factor i went to my little spot, the mall underground parking lot... when i saw the tail wobbling, i then new it wasn't the wind :) I was able to fly my 5 packs without being buggedm isn't wonderful :p Here's a little picture of the beginners heaven (once those concrete pillars doesn'T scare you :p which finaly is my case... what can i say, it takes more practice to some more than others. :)

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

Westy

LEGEND
keep going up on your gain ... until it wags, then back off 3 - 5 points .... you will then have it perfect!

Doum066

keep going up on your gain ... until it wags, then back off 3 - 5 points .... you will then have it perfect!

It might sound stupid, but, the DX6i goes down by .5 increment/clicks, so do you mean back it off by 5 points is 5x .5 increment (70 down to 67.5) or literaly -5 ie: (70 down to 65).

Doum066

All right... jsut came back from some flying, started to do slow circuits, with control turns... was getting fine, but i need your advises... at some point, since i was doing low turn, at some point at kinda gave a little bit too much negativ pitch, so i sorta bump a little hard on the skids, not too hard but harder than a normal landing... after ward it kinda start flying weird, i brought it back and start cheking some stuff.. what should i check after some kind of hard land on skids... all i notices is the anti-rotation gear (the one below the main gear if i names it wrong) :) is kinda turning with some wombling, like waving... (pointing the one on the attached pic) bent main gear shaft? What could i sorta damage.. i was having a hard time flying straight, it was having some left drift and tend to kinda do a pendla effet (smal that is) nose and tail... and when i tried to FFF or backward i had to give in a little more stick input...

I know that by the tie you guys answer this, i will already have the head and main shaft check, even the main gear.. !? :S

Doum066

Well, let's not yell victory yet, but i started to take off the blades and rotor hear, and hand spined the mainshaft with the head off, and the tail was shaking, too much for my taste... so i was suspecting maybe a slightly bent torque tube, but anyways i took the tail apart, look at the bearings in the boom mount, clean them off, put all together, change the torque tube, when spinning it alone in the boom mount, i felt it was shaking a little too much versus when i did it with a new torque tube, reassemble the tail, and it doesn't shake anymore... it was about also the time i take a look at the thrust bearing for maintenance, and we'll see how it goes after, but so far so good... we'll see... :S

Whish i could be as good as some of you guys on here to troubleshoot on the first guess. :)

Tony

Staff member
Hard landing points me to tail boom may be bent, or the feathering shaft may be bent. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Doum066

Well the first night i started strip it down, i changed the torque tube, as far as i could see, the tail boom seemed straight, but last night, i decided to strip it down and take a lok at some stuff, better be sure than sorry. :) So i changed the tail boom, not because it was bent, but i did tightened a bit too much the metal vertical mount screws, and kinda bent inside the hole of the tail boom... took out the main gear since i though something was loose so it aves as it turns, cleand it all off, took off the anti-rotation gear, reassemble it all, and it seem to be normal that it waves a little bit, but you know how we are, we alaways notice little stuff when we broke something. :) made sure the main shaft wasn't bent, let's just say that in the last 2 days i mainly did a sorta full maintenance, after all it already had 45 packs (5 min each) flight since i crashed and inspect all stuff... I did fly 5 packs after work.. it seem better, did some sorta small circles, moving around... felt ok, did some stable nose in hover and tail in, to see when it drift if it's the wind by drifting/moving the same way as tail in or nose in.. it feel nice, so now i am getting confident, not panicking....but damn it is hard to do small and slow circuit, controlling the bird to stay in a small area, once i feel confident, i will do wider turns, faster turn... but i love flying and i take it easy, no rush to get to the top. :) i can't belive i have as much fun as playing with the mechanics than flying the bird... :)

Doum066

Well there it is guys. after hours and hours of Sim, a crash, a almost total rebuild, i finaly get to be confident enough to start Circuits... i can now almost control the width of the pattern, slow or fast... here is finaly a video, other than simple hovering. On each pack i fly, i try to doe 3-4 oval circuit, bring it back, doing some hovering in almost all direction etc....

It was a very chaning wind condition day... lost of wind direction change, some windy moments and easy ones... i got a few moment windy on this fly, thank god, i finaly get to feel reall eased in wind condition :)

T-Rex 450 Pro DFC oval circuits training - YouTube

Ken Jackson

That was the most incredible example of fundamental flying I have ever seen. Your sim time and commitment to the hover have certainly paid off. Love your flying site, but once crops come in I'd put a lo-jack transmitter on anything you fly.

Don't really want to mention this but I saw a video were a guy was using a landing pad and as he was landing it lifted up and crashed him, so just make sure your pad is secure.

And what an awesome camera!!

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

And congrats on your rebuild, it's obviously dialed in.

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
good job .... looks nice and solid! great to see that you are another product of well spent sim time! :)

Cheers

Doum066

Yeah the site is awesome, we kinda have two parts, one for the heli guys, and the other which is more likely longer, for the plane guys.. as for the crops, yep, until the corn grows, i will get more use to it and will indeed need to change my flying habbits for sure, no more low flying, irregular terrain that will provide corn wil be too hazardous i guess for turbulence and stuff.

I'm totaly aware of the risk of the heli pad, that's why i go softly until i am sure i am over and not grab it with my skid, it's heavy enough, but to be honest, so lading on pebble cycling trail costed me a set of tail rotor blade, lading on grass when learning to fly, costed me 2 times a set of torque tube's front drive gear.. so far i was more unlocky to land without it lol, thats the problem of 450 sizes, seems a bit too low for grass, the otehr day the guy with a 500 was just perfect... but i got to admit when i tried, it was on defreezing season, the ground was uneven due to snow melting and stuff.

Lol you're kidding me, that was a crappy camera, i used mu IPhone to record this, i was about to fly a pack and i saw one of the guy standing near by and asked it to shoot this... not wasy with an IPhone, thats what at the beginning you hear him say in french « You'll have to do some montage, i can't follow you » :)

Top Bottom