Submit Comments To FAA

Tony

Staff member
I just received an email from the AMA informing everyone how to submit comments to the FAA. Please, everyone, click the link below and submit your comments to the FAA about this new regulation. The more people we can get to comment to the FAA, the more our voice will be heard. Main topics I think would be, this will not help anything, the regulation is illegal, the regulation can not be policed and so on.

Here is the email I just received.

AMA Email said:
The AMA has recommended that our members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until the FAA's legal deadline of February 19. Holding off on registration will allow time for AMA to fully consider all possible legal and political options for alleviating this unnecessary regulatory burden on our members.

In the meantime, you can help by making your voice heard with the FAA. Specifically we are asking all AMA members to submit comments on the FAA's interim rule on registration. The deadline to submit comments is January 15, 2016. All comments can be submitted at Regulations.gov.

Below are recommended messages to convey in your comments:

Express your disappointment with the registration rule. As a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA), I am disappointed with the new rule for UAS registration. I am a long time model aircraft flyer, who has operated under the guidance of the largest community-based organization (CBO) in the world for many years.

Highlight AMA's history and safety record. Since 1936, AMA has published safety standards and offered training programs for our members - more than 20 years before the FAA was created. Our National Model Aircraft Safety Code has been recognized by Congress as well as by state legislatures as a safe and effective means of managing model aircraft enthusiasts like me
Note that you already register with AMA. Additionally, AMA's safety program already instructs me to place my AMA number or name and address on or within my model aircraft(s), effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule.

Make it clear this rule is contrary to the intent of Congress. The new rule is contrary to the intent of Congress in Section 336 of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. Section 336, also referred to as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft," clearly prohibits the FAA from promulgating any new rules for recreational users operating within the safety guidelines of a CBO. In addition, the FAA's contention that model aircraft should be considered aircraft is currently the subject of pending litigation.

Affirm that as an AMA member you should be exempt from federal registration. The registration process is an unnecessary burden for me and the more than 185,000 other AMA members. AMA members should not be required to register with the FAA.

Thank you,
AMA Government and Regulatory Affairs Team
amagov@modeliarcraft.org

Thanks for the link Tony. I think the biggest argument we have is that we are already registered with the AMA. If something were to happen, the FAA can go back to our AMA number to investigate one of us.

Derek

Thanks for the link Tony. I think the biggest argument we have is that we are already registered with the AMA. If something were to happen, the FAA can go back to our AMA number to investigate one of us.

I just don't see how it would be "that complicated" to use our AMA numbers as our ID numbers. I also don't like the idea that they are saying we can only fly by means of line of sight. That means no FPV. If that rule takes effect, I have two FPV systems that would then become paper weights. Very frustrating!

I haven't checked my email yet but thanks for the link, Tony! I'll surely leave a comment or two.

Tony

Staff member
You can still do FPV, but only with a monitor, no goggles. And you must have LOS of the aircraft with a spotter. Reason being is so you can easily look up and see the aircraft and your eyes are already adjusted with the light outside. IMO, this is stupid. Look at the amount of people doing FPV racing. Everyone does it with goggles. The FAA is trying to kill the hobby with all of these regulations. And I for one, will not be following any of what they are trying to regulate. This is like saying I can't drive my car without a passenger (spotter) and a full 5 point harness (massive unneeded regulations).

I was reading a thread on helifreak the other day, apparently some guy was flying a heli in a field he normally flies in and he was stopped by a policeman who asked for his FAA registration number. It sounds like maybe this rule is already being enforced in some places. I have been hovering my 550 the last few days fine tuning everything, I have not been questioned yet but I am waiting.

Tony

Staff member
If it was purchased before Dec 21, then you have until Feb 19 before you MUST be registered. But as I stated, I will NEVER register with the FAA.

Derek

You can still do FPV, but only with a monitor, no goggles. And you must have LOS of the aircraft with a spotter. Reason being is so you can easily look up and see the aircraft and your eyes are already adjusted with the light outside. IMO, this is stupid. Look at the amount of people doing FPV racing. Everyone does it with goggles. The FAA is trying to kill the hobby with all of these regulations. And I for one, will not be following any of what they are trying to regulate. This is like saying I can't drive my car without a passenger (spotter) and a full 5 point harness (massive unneeded regulations).

lmao, that's an awesome comparison, Tony! Saying that I can't drive my car without a passenger (spotter). I have a viewing monitor that I bought so that my spectators could see what I see. I hope to be able to continue to use my Fatsharks. They were much too expensive to simply discard because the FAA is trying to drop bombs on the hobby.

I was reading a thread on helifreak the other day, apparently some guy was flying a heli in a field he normally flies in and he was stopped by a policeman who asked for his FAA registration number. It sounds like maybe this rule is already being enforced in some places. I have been hovering my 550 the last few days fine tuning everything, I have not been questioned yet but I am waiting.

I didn't think these rules were to be in effect until after January 20, 2016.

Tony

Staff member
For general information, I don't mind most times. But if someone is just trying to send people somewhere else, then I would remove the links. Something like this though, I will and do allow most of the time.

Tony

Staff member
I appreciate you saying that and doing that. I have worked hard to provide a good place where people can get any of the information they are looking for. And hopefully, once I get off the road, I will be able to do even more. Fingers crossed.

Derek

That is what i thought too.. Here is the link.

okay got check out by police today - HeliFreak

Tony, not sure if it is OK with you to post links from another board, if not I can remove it and I wont do it again.

I just can't believe this! Just as others said in that thread, that officer shouldn't even have had a right to ask the guy to land and ask for registration. I'm happy to hear that the officer was decent about it and it's cool that the guy was registered and the officer moved on. It's such BS that we can now be approached by officers when there are so many other things that the police should be watching out for.

Stambo

It seems he was flying on school property.
Someone may have called the local police and complained about someone on school property, perhaps with a camera.
At that stage the police may be compelled to address the "problem" and attend.
It seems like this was all over in no time at all and no harm was done.

I have great respect for most law enforcement officers.
Can you imagine what it would be like out there without them?
The word anarchy comes to mind.
I personally don't see the problem with presenting some form of ID to police when asked.
Most of the time, unless you have done something wrong, you would be on your way in minutes.

I went ahead and registered with the FAA. I fly at an AMA sanctioned club and if one of our members is caught flying without the certificate, apparently it is a $25000 fine for the club. It was a pretty painless sign up, the registration is good for 3 years and it's not like the government doesn't have my personal information anyway. So here's to you Big Brother! I appreciate you keeping an eye on me!:moon:

Top Bottom