General Strange or normal?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
How much play you have in your belt? Shouldn't be more than 1/8th when you squeze the belt by the back of the main gear. Have you flipped over the belt and check the teeth for wear or missing? Just my :2c:

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Belt is pretty tight, and the heli is new, haven’t flown yet. This was just a bench test. Wondering if it’s to tight…

Geena

Staff member
The belt should be running true, So something must be out of alignment. Check the tail boom to make sure it`s not bent to one side or the other. I have seen this happen a couple of times, when the tail boom is slightly bent to the left or to the right.

Also check the belt itself, for abnormal wear. Like wearing on only one side. Also, if the tail box is two plates.....like on goblin helicopters.......that you slide fore and aft, to adjust the belt tension. Make sure that they are adjusted equally and that the tail output shaft is nice and square with the tail boom.

These are the usual suspects when the belt dances around like that. I hope this help you get it sorted. :)

Belt tension wouldn`t?shouldn`t cause this to happen. If the belt is too loose, it will just slap the inside of the tail boom, and slip on the pulleys. Which will just decrease your tail performance.

Having the belt too tight will cause side load on the bearings and potentially cause premature bearing failure.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I thought that looked weird. It is a goblin, the tail rotor looks 90 to the boom but that sounds like it's probably what's wrong. Just to be clear, this was the first run up on the bench without blades so I don't think it's anything worn or at least it shouldn't be. Ill mess with that tonight and report.
Thanks, T

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Just wanted to share the response I got from Bert himself. I guess it’s ok either way.
T

“What you're seeing in the video is perfectly normal, your tail pulley is lined up perfectly (perpendicular) with the boom, therefore the belt will always move like that. You can always simply offset the tail by one degree and it will tend to ride against one of the pulley flanges. However, the way is setup is correct and you shouldn't have any issues.

Hope this helps.”

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Just wanted to share the response I got from Bert himself. I guess it’s ok either way.
T

“What you're seeing in the video is perfectly normal, your tail pulley is lined up perfectly (perpendicular) with the boom, therefore the belt will always move like that. You can always simply offset the tail by one degree and it will tend to ride against one of the pulley flanges. However, the way is setup is correct and you shouldn't have any issues.

Hope this helps.”
Useful information...thanks for sharing :beerchug:

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well, one thing I noticed is the pulley is a bit wider than it needs to be whereas on my other belt driven tails the belt fits just right in the pulley. The Tron doesn't even have flanges on their pulleys.:confused:. But I agree, I don't ever remember seeing that and the reason for posting about it. We shall see after a few flights...

Geena

Staff member
Well, one thing I noticed is the pulley is a bit wider than it needs to be whereas on my other belt driven tails the belt fits just right in the pulley. The Tron doesn't even have flanges on their pulleys.:confused:. But I agree, I don't ever remember seeing that and the reason for posting about it. We shall see after a few flights...
My sister flies Goblins, and none of her helicopters do that. But if Bert said it`s fine, then it`s fine. He knows more about Goblins than just about anyone.

Top Bottom