General Spektrum DX7s Backlight install Serious Damage!

sundayflyer

Hi Guys, Just wanted to warn about a complete disaster I had when trying to install a backlight to my rx (DX7s)
I followed instructions to install the EL panel only to find out that it was for the DX7, part of the install was to remove the silver backing on the lcd screen but when I checked,
the instruction was of course wrong.
Let me tell you, when you have removed the backing, to put it back is almost impossible :(.
This tx is brand new, you cannot get spares for it, you cannot buy new film for the back of the lcd.
in the end I had to contact horizon hobbies and have arranged to send it in for a repair.
I know I am a noob but now I feel downright stupid!
Please don't make the same mistake as me.
Andy.

DONT DO IT! I a DX 7SE and the backlight installed at A Pro Hobbies back in May of 2010 and worked fine until about 6 months ago. I turn on my TX and have a pretty blue screen and that is it. No model information and cant change between models. Tried changing the contrast but nothing changes. You hear beeps but nothing so now my TX is useless. A Pro cant fix says I have to go to Horizon. Since my TX has been Modified Horizon will not touch it. Suggested I contact Radio south rc. Tony says suggested i check the contrast (must not have read that I already did that). Then says that it sounded like its the LCD screen and horizon will not sell them to him. So there you have it. The complete circle and now my TX is trash. Good Luck but dont do it. Buying Futaba next. lol

john49

I put back light in my dx 7s as soon as i got it and it never worked after that never even got a chance to use it.I left it in to my lhs they have now sent it back to horizon to se if it can be fixed and at what cost.I dont know why they dont put a backlight in them when thy are been made surly it wouldnt cost that much. I will keep you posted and let you know how i get on with hh

John

sundayflyer

I put back light in my dx 7s as soon as i got it and it never worked after that never even got a chance to use it.I left it in to my lhs they have now sent it back to horizon to se if it can be fixed and at what cost.I dont know why they dont put a backlight in them when thy are been made surly it wouldnt cost that much. I will keep you posted and let you know how i get on with hh

John

Just spoke with HH again yesterday. They said they do get a few mod's in from time to time and normally just return them. The manager said they return them for liability reasons. They can not guarantee they will work, but did offer me a discount on a new radio. it is about 25% of what I have invested in my radio. Said I should have bought an 8 because it has a back light. Think I might junk my Spektrum and HH stuff and go back to Futaba.

Tony

Staff member
I have to step up here and defend Spektrum. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Spektrum Tx's or the way they work. All members that take it into their own hands to "Modify" a Tx also takes the risk of bricking it. This is the EXACT reason I do NOT sell backlight kits anymore for these Tx's. Too many people are bricking them, and as stated, HH will not even touch them to repair them.

They are right, if you want a backlight, get the DX8 or higher. The DX6i and DX7s are classed as "beginner Tx's". Thus not having the backlight.

There is nothing wrong with Spektrum, I trust ALL of my aircraft to a DX8. And yes, I purchased the DX8 because of the backlight as well as other features such as 3 position switches and more.

Dirk

I agree with Tony. The Spektrum radios are very very good. They are outselling all other brands here.

Slobberdog

+2 Tony

I don't understand why it is so important for people to modify these tx's to get a backlight, you can see the screen in all bar the brightest direct sunlight, and why would you really need it then, I think the only time I check the screen is to see the timer, how often do you make changes in the tx, if its such an issue just give the tx a bit of shade,

Oh I forgot you want to adjust something in the dark, sarcasm lol.

Yes I would like a backlight but think the lower priced tx's don't have them cos they save a bit of money for the beginner/end user,

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
+1 here also.

I was lucky with my 9x, turnigy makes the backlight as an add on. This add on requires the end user to my two connections no soldering required.

Just don't flash the firmware if your a noob to electronics. That will brick a 9x if just one thing is wrong.

Specktrum is a great product and very little to no moding is needed out of the box.

Top Bottom