General Spektrum DX7s Backlight install Serious Damage!

Marshall

Hi Guys, Just wanted to warn about a complete disaster I had when trying to install a backlight to my rx (DX7s)
I followed instructions to install the EL panel only to find out that it was for the DX7, part of the install was to remove the silver backing on the lcd screen but when I checked,
the instruction was of course wrong.
Let me tell you, when you have removed the backing, to put it back is almost impossible :(.
This tx is brand new, you cannot get spares for it, you cannot buy new film for the back of the lcd.
in the end I had to contact horizon hobbies and have arranged to send it in for a repair.
I know I am a noob but now I feel downright stupid!
Please don't make the same mistake as me.
Andy.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
sorry to hear about that bro! :( yeah dx7 and dx7s are very different in design. dx7 was JR based / JR similar software too.. almost a rebranded JR radio..

DX7S is Spektrum's own everything.. Sorry to hear! And THANKS A LOT for the heads up!!

hope you get it fixed..

HH charging arm and a leg for repair ?

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
If it makes you feel any better, I once destroyed a completely good DX6i in the same manner. I stopped trying to "enhance" my transmitters since.

Tony

Staff member
Just an FYI, the EL screen will shine through that backing. Not well, but well enough. And yes, there is a very thin film just under that layer that will kill the screen. This is one of the major reasons I no longer promote or sell a backlight kit for any Tx's. Way too much can go wrong.

wolfman76

i think HH charges a standard of about 30-35 hour for their labor had to send my dx6i in before

pavotibio

Guys, I was about to order a backlight kit for my DX7S when I ran into this post.
So there´s no way it works whatsoever?
I'd really appreciate your advice.

These are the links I was gonna get it from:
Choice 1: http://www.aprohobbies.com/screen-backlight-spektrum-dx7s-blue-p-536.aphx

Choice 2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turnigy-9X-FlySky-spectrum-DX6i-DX7S-LCD-Backlight-Kit-Blue-White-Green-Red-/281040472567

PS 1: Yeah, I read bout what happened to Marshall's tx but since asking is for free.....
PS 2: This kit was supposed to be my present cuz of my 40th b-day, he he. I'm an old pavo already.

Tony

Staff member
It's tricky getting the backlight in and working correctly. Can it be done? Yes. However I do not suggest it as per this thread. You have to be very careful and you should really keep the backing on the LCD. this will dim the lights, but also assures you that you won't kill the LCD.

pavotibio

I just re-read Marshall's post and realized he tried to install the DX7 kit in his DX7S. As you said they´re clearly different sizes. In the 1st link I sent they sell different kits for many different TX models, assuring you you'll get the right one.
Damn! Should I buy it? Gonna check this over an hout tutorial on the installing to try to make up my mind.
Will keep you posted.
Cheers, enjoy the weekend.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah I can't say if you should buy it or not. I used to sell these backlight kits that I built myself and people kept bricking their Tx by soldering the wires backwards. Resulting in them putting 90vAC into their Tx. Just be careful when you hook thing thing up.

Tony

Staff member
As always, I will help you out any way I can. Just want you to be cautious when installing it. Would hate for you to lose your Tx. If you have questions, just ask.

Westy

LEGEND
Let me know how you go! I installed one on my DX7-SE and there was nothing ... nothing on the net about how to do it... only people gloating the end result ;) (oh thats right .... I was one of them too haha)

I had to test and trace all the power feeds and voltage regulators to find a nice source for power and it worked perfectly. I use the Hobby King one and will be modifying it by putting a different SMD resistor in it to reduce the current so as not to burn out the LED's...... I am not sure of the feed voltage yet .... hoping to find a 5Vdc in there somewhere...... plenty of 3.3 and 9V about in there..... Will just have to persevere. Blew the main fuse on it when I slipped testing the power board and shorted out for a fraction of a second.... a neg and positive trace!

pavotibio

Let me know how you go! I installed one on my DX7-SE and there was nothing ... nothing on the net about how to do it... only people gloating the end result ;) (oh thats right .... I was one of them too haha)

I had to test and trace all the power feeds and voltage regulators to find a nice source for power and it worked perfectly. I use the Hobby King one and will be modifying it by putting a different SMD resistor in it to reduce the current so as not to burn out the LED's...... I am not sure of the feed voltage yet .... hoping to find a 5Vdc in there somewhere...... plenty of 3.3 and 9V about in there..... Will just have to persevere. Blew the main fuse on it when I slipped testing the power board and shorted out for a fraction of a second.... a neg and positive trace!

Hi Westy, It's sure I'll let you and all the guys know how I go after installing the kit yet it's not going to be soon since the value of the dollar/chilean peso exchange rose. Gonna have to wait, a little I hope, before ordering all the spare parts and stuff I want to buy.
I downloaded a video that lasts over an hour where all the installing process is thoroughly explained in detail. It could be useful to everybody so here's the link.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Wing Man

Hi Westy, It's sure I'll let you and all the guys know how I go after installing the kit yet it's not going to be soon since the value of the dollar/chilean peso exchange rose. Gonna have to wait, a little I hope, before ordering all the spare parts and stuff I want to buy.
I downloaded a video that lasts over an hour where all the installing process is thoroughly explained in detail. It could be useful to everybody so here's the link.
Cheers

Don't you guys think it would be a bit wiser to just buy the DX 8 for $100 more than to spent over $50 on the Light Kit and spend hours installing the Kit and chancing the DX 7s to Fry ?? HH/Spektrum really needs to Light that DX 7s Screen Up, you would think they would have by now with all the complaints about it !!! Listen to your customers HH !!:thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:

Westy

LEGEND
NOPE..... only takes 15 - 20 mins ..... and works perfectly..... see?

here is mine!... I did mine a different way .... tired the above mother and it is too rough for me ...... I am also working with an electronics engineer to design a cut out PCB so it will auto turn off after 15 secs until a new button or the scroll wheel is turned or pressed .... and the timer will turn on the backlight again and off in 15 ... etc...

The BKLT kit and Resistor I used only cost me $8.50 USD all up!

I am also working on a system to actually locate the LCD and lock it in place while the LED backlight kit is put in to get that "PERFECT ALIGNMENT OF THE SCREEN" everytime!

P1100352.jpgP1100353.jpg

P1100352.jpg

P1100353.jpg

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
They said the replacement screen would be approx $35.00 plus labour & postage and packing.

WOnder if a DX8 one will fit straight in..... and if it will operate the backlight! could be another option..... anyone want to do some enquiries?

john49

I just bought a dx7s put a backlight in it worked perfect first time i switched radio on,second time i switched it on nothing the radio is dead dont know what happened to it. I put a backlight into a dx6i last year and its still workimg perfect

Top Bottom