450 Some insight

Sparse

OK if your just learning to fly the 450 and not to worried about 3d meaning not going to do it. (for now) what is the thought or opinion of a setup like this as far as blade pitch goes. say you have positive collective of 10 zero at mid and you eight for cyclic. but have the negative at one or three. I say that cause wouldn't that make it easier for a new person to land more safely being he don't have the negative 10 coming down. and as he gets better he could always adjust. and we will not be flying 3d with this setup.

Tony

Staff member
Nope, you really need to set your heli up with equal pitch on both positive and negative with a linear pitch curve. Once you are done setting up the pitch and you have then equal, THEN you can go into your pitch settings and change them from 0 25 50 75 100 to 46 48 50 75 100. This will reduce the amount of negative pitch you have but still allow the heli to stay on the ground when spooling down. Setting the positive and negative pitch to be the same is a MUST if you want a properly setup helicopter.

murankar

Staff member
In normal flight mode your pitch curve should have about -2 degrees, about. That should give you enough negative to land in wind. Your setup seems fine just as long as your pos and neg are the same on collective.

Sparse

that second pitch curve will be ok to fly and stuff with on both the positive and collective pitch?

Slobberdog

Firstly you need to set up the heli so it has zero pitch at mid stick and equal pos and neg pitch,

I have mine set up like this, and until recently used to fly in norm mode all the time, and I had my pitch curve set to give me -2 degrees bottom stick and linear above centre, that was until one day I was flying at the club field and as I flew a circuit one way I went into a thermal at the end of our runway, well the heli just rocketed and I had a massive amount of trouble getting it down without cutting the power to much and loosing all power to the motor,

Tony and Lee on here gave me advice to set up a linear curve in idle up, and now that type of incident is not a problem, one day you will need those negative degrees to help you out, believe me,

Tony

Staff member
that second pitch curve will be ok to fly and stuff with on both the positive and collective pitch?

I'm not sure what this means. But, you will set your heli up with the same positive collective pitch, and negative collective pitch so that you know your blades are centered, your swash is centered and yoru servos are centered. Once you are done with that, and just that can take hours to get right, THEN and only then can you change your pitch curve to only give a few degrees of negative collective pitch.

Sparse

as i said i was just wondering, as im still rebuilding i am still learning. the heli is almost complete but im going to buy a sim before it goes back in the air, these things are so different from the blade fixed pitched helis i grew up flying.

Tony

Staff member
Get phoenix or real flight and fly with us online. There are more on phoenix, but RF I like a little better. But, I have a computer that I dropped a couple paychecks in that can run it too. A sim, no matter what you get, is a great idea.

Sparse

yeah i will be pick one up really soon.

- - - Updated - - -

most likely phoenix 4.0 my dx7 should work with that correct.

Derek

Hi there Sparse! I'm happy to hear you say that you are going to get a sim. A sim, of any brand, is an incredibly useful tool. I can say, with 100% honesty, that my heli and plane flying have gotten much better since spending more and more time on the sim. If it's raining outside, or too windy....I hop on the sim for a bit and I just do what I do. Yes, there are times that I just get on the sim and do stupid things but I think that's all a part of it. I mostly use the sim for orientation drills, trying new tricks or maneuvers, and just the average flying around. It has helped me greatly.

Take your time with the rebuild. I'm sure you'll do great!

Top Bottom