FBL Gyro Some Ideas For Ikon to Consider to better their product and software - For END USER

Westy

LEGEND
Hey all,

As you know .....
I have been venting over some issues with my Ikon SL mode issues that toasted my Spanking new Goblin 630 with the (I never knew this at the time) stability issue when engaging SL.

Here are some suggestions I think they should consider to better thier product and make these powerful controllers the best they can be!

Simple software adds moves and changes .... and a little code to render on the Level Set section ... nothing major just better!

1. Put together some more in depth instructions and include the warning that SL should only be tested at a decent recovery height to prevent injury, property damage and potential death.

2. give more detail on the SL setup procedure and trouble shooting of the SL.

3. Explain what is happening inside the unit when initialisation happens.

- I would have thought that if you have set your swash level the ikon would lock onto those servo readings as a reference and use them to level the heli as after all, if the user has done the levelling correctly.... then the swash should be perfectly perpendicular on all axis... and if you had you CG on the heli correct, you would get a nice FLOAT MODE

4. Add another area to section 9 to the software (move the Set Level Button to the Left) Showing the user the actual readings the Ikon brain is seeing as level Y +&-100 and Z + and - 100.... as you move the heli for levelling ... you can see the Ikon sensors working.

That way you can reference the Ikon level compared to a bubble (real world) level.

Like this ....
IkonSection9_zpsf5489877.png

WHOOPS .... I GOT THAT WRONG .... X and X ... hahahah ya got the point though right Lol

5. in Level 10 (governor) explain that if it is not used ..... no set up is required.... you know ... as simple line across the top saying "DO NOT SET UP IF NO SENSOR IS FITTED"

lIKE THIS:
IkonSection10_zps9a0b86d1.png

6. THE FLIGHT MODE section, put a line of Txt at the top saying .... Test the Self level at a safe flight height no less than 40 meters before engaging.
wow2.gif

IkonSection12_zpsf75a2d8e.png

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Re: Some Ideas For Ikon to Consider to better their product and software - For END US

Dude nice that they got back to you, good presentation as well.

like i said to you earlier on the reference, its what i would expect, now lets see how good they are and measure them on what they actually get done with it now, hope you got the royalties set up.......lol

Westy

LEGEND
Re: Some Ideas For Ikon to Consider to better their product and software - For END US

Lol ..... I value Loyalties more than royalties! hahahha

Westy

LEGEND

I can then say .... I was a part of the Ikon design LOL hahahahaha

A Whining customer .... that actually gave some solutions to the problems .... instead of creating more !

Slobberdog

What you was doing is not whining its called creative critiscism,

pvolcko

5) Level 10: I had to muck with the throttle settings a bit here to get the ESC endpoints correct, even though not using ikon gov. :)

xokia

I tried to warn you guys about the SL feature. Luckily for me I tried it out on a cheap 300x heli. No way I was going to try it out on my 700. My 300x is my test platform if it passes there then it moves onto my other helis. The Ikon is a good FBL controller and its the only thing it should be purchased for. The SL feature is a novalty. Personally I think the best possible thing they could do to improve the Ikon is to add a vibration log. Which maybe they dont have the memory to store the data which would be an over sight of the design. You really need to be 100% vibration free in order to use SL. And the only possible way you will know that is with some kind of logging mechanism.

Karubah

Way to go Westy, keep the ...... honest. Well done.!!

Westy

LEGEND

I have invested enough time and effort to see this through, the way back has long gone. From the hours and hours of research and forum Traulling .... I have found the solution the should end all my issues.

the Milton Mod! ... Sets the SL straight! 0 Everytime

1. Remove IKON ...
2. Remove mounting pad.
3. Fit Align PU get tape
4. mount Gyro with silicone fuel line through a Zip tie between the Zip and the parts touching the Ikon
5. Reset Level on Ikon
6. Check operation on bench (Engage and disengage)
7. Spool up and then shut down TH on
8. Engage SL feature and watch to no swash movement
9. Test Hover and fly without SL engaged
10. fly to 30 - 60m high and test engage the SL feature. (Be ready for de-sellecting and recovering heli in case it does not go to plan)

re test several times in the air .....

Repeat the test from scratch several times (no need to reset Ikon Level Again though)

I tried to warn you guys about the SL feature. Luckily for me I tried it out on a cheap 300x heli. No way I was going to try it out on my 700. My 300x is my test platform if it passes there then it moves onto my other helis. The Ikon is a good FBL controller and its the only thing it should be purchased for. The SL feature is a novalty. Personally I think the best possible thing they could do to improve the Ikon is to add a vibration log. Which maybe they dont have the memory to store the data which would be an over sight of the design. You really need to be 100% vibration free in order to use SL. And the only possible way you will know that is with some kind of logging mechanism.

Last edited:

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member

Whew! that was a lot. Pic of the Milton mod.

Tony

Staff member

Gaba tried to get me to use the zeal tape and fuel line covered zip tie on the beastx. Glad I didn't lmao. This thing is working GREAT!

xokia

I have invested enough time and effort to see this through, the way back has long gone. From the hours and hours of research and forum Traulling .... I have found the solution the should end all my issues.

the Milton Mod! ... Sets the SL straight! 0 Everytime
Let us know how it goes they are pretty proud of that tape and it's pretty spendy. I researched it and it appears to work for vibes but makes the gyro less sensitive also. If my ikon had took longer to sell I was going to try it out just out of curiosity.

Westy

LEGEND

always a good "Plan B' if it does not work great though ;)

This is working for heaps of guys .... especially on the SL mode of the Ikon. The normal operation of the Ikon is faultless.

The SL mode, however is very much super sensitive to any vibes it would appear.

Persnoally, I would have thought having 4 separate pads (one in each corner of the Controller) would possibly do a better job as the vibes can dissipate in and out of 4 separate insulate material units ... instead of being one single absorbing platform. Much like 4 engine mounts... each sharing a load point and dissipating local load vibes only.

Might experiment with it .... need a Vibration measuring device ... someone said something about HK having them .

xokia

My understanding of that zeal tape is that it needs to be compressed in order to work. Which is the reason for the zip tie. The fuel tube ads some isolation for the zip tie.

Hope it works out for you.

Westy

LEGEND

Not from what I hear .... it is only tied down because the lack of stickiness... I am waiting for the ALign PU gel to come in. Apparently it is sticky as!

The reason for the Tube, is the Zip tie acts as a tuning fork and transmits vibration noise past the insulation material and back onto the controller(since the zip te is in contract with the heli directly and the Controller). The Zip tie is purely a mechanical tie down device and the fuel tube ... or even a pad on top on each edge will "Zero out the Vibes" to prevent direct contact between the surfaces - Heli, Zip Tie and Gyro

Last edited:

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member

Cool! I am in Aww that you guys are having lots of probs with the SL. It has worked fine for me with no issues, even tested it yesterday and it worked well both times.

Westy

LEGEND

I am taking mine out today for a SL test at height .... or shall I just fly the thing and enjoy it for a few euphoric minutes???

I will see what happens and how the tracking test flight goes....

Top Bottom