Some hovering with my EXI-250

zenmetsu

Here is a link to my video:
Probably a bit boring for most of ya, this is only my 10th flight or so. I've gotten it mostly trimmed and balanced as good as I can. It was a bit gusty and unfortunately overcast as well, so you don't have a reference shadow to judge altitude. I need to tame my pitch travel because I keep affecting altitude by accident when giving rudder input; almost all of the ground strikes were due to this input error, but a few times gusts caused a good change in lift.

Criticism welcome. :) I was moving around a bit on purpose, but there are a few points where I just wanted to hover it as still as possible (like around 3:45) I also didn't want to get too high over pavement. I'll post some better vids once I move over the grass.

Last edited by a moderator:

zenmetsu

Audio analysis is showing head speed of 4,440RPM near beginning of flight and 4,170RPM near the end. I am running 75% throttle from mid-stick up to full. Manual says not to exceed 4,500RPM so maybe I can take her down a few notches or get a smaller pinion for some extra torque.

Good news is, I fixed the one-way bearing. Just look at that rotor go after I kill the juice. :)

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
some one on here said to change the tension on one of the directions of the stick. If you make the throttle a tad tighter for throttle it should be easier to control which movement you intend.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, that head looks much better. I think you are to the point now where you need to check out my flight training videos, and get the heli moving around a bit. You have this hovering thing down pat bro. The collective input mistakes will happen no matter who you are lol. Don't worry about that.

As to the post above, don't stiffen up your throttle. If you do, you run the risk if it becoming jumpy and no longer smooth. You cna do it to the rudder, but only so much. But I think stiffening up your rudder would only exaggerate the issue.

Keep it up man, your doing great.

zenmetsu

It is the same head, I just used a longer screw at the base of the main shaft. This prevents excessive loading on the little washer between the bearing hub and the screw. It was a simple fix, in my opinion, and definitely one that went into my 250 notebook.

I did something similar to the tail hub. The EXI-250 has a washer between the tail grips and the hub, the Trex does not. The Trex, however, has a washer inside the grip between the screw and the bearing. I ended up using both, and carefully loaded the screw (with loctite)to the point that the tail wouldn't bind. There is a drastic reduction in slop, and I got my gain bumped up 5% as a result.

Unfortunately without being good enough to do more sporty maneuvers, like pumping the elevator, I won't know if the tail is hunting excessively. It seems to hold well, without hunting, in a pretty stiff crosswind, so I am happy for now.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
good early hovering video Zenmetsu. I know what you mean about dumb thumb, but a lot of sim training helps with that :p

A bit of breeze and ground effect probably moved your bird more than any stick error, it seemed pretty under control for early flight.

Top Bottom