General soldering ?

eric

I was wondering what size of soldering iron you guys use when soldering new plugs on your battery and what size solder you use
thanks eric

Tony

Staff member
The iron I use is a Hakko 936 and I love it. I use 60/40 rosin core solder as well. If you look up that iron, you will see the tip I'm using. I think it's the 3/16" tip and it's adjustable in temp. I usually run about half way unless I need to put a lot of heat in something quickly, then I will turn it up about 3/4 way. Hope this helps.

Tony

Staff member
More specifically, I have the Hakko 936-9 iron. I think the latest out now is the 936-12 but I'm not sure. Great soldering irons and I will not get a new one until I blow this one up lol.

Lee

I have a 40w iron for big batteries 6S and for smaller jobs i have a 15W iron. Solder 60/40 same as Tony.

murankar

Staff member
60/40 rosin and a 30 watt pencil from hobbico. I really need a 40 watt and some new tips. when I get home I will get some chisel style tips instead of the pointed tip. I managed to get stuff soldiered but messed up my first deans due to learning curve.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I use a radio shack soldering gun. It has two heat ranges trigger operated. It also has a light on it. Electrical solder is electrical solder. 60/40 anything eltz is not ment for electrical connections! I use a thin wire for most apps. And a thicker wire for larger bullet plugs.

Tony

Staff member
Oh, I forgot to add my iron is a 65w iron. But I rarely ever turn it all the way up.

Top Bottom