Sjcam Sj6 Legend

bigone5500

I got this camera today from Amazon. I wanted a camera that was versatile and could possibly be used on a quad. However, this one may be too large/heavy to be used as such and finding a suitable mount is proving difficult. I have not used the camera as of yet but the quality of it seems to be very good. I haven't had any dealings with a gopro before but have seen some of the other chinese knockoffs such as the xiaomi yi. This one is better than the older ones from what I can tell. The features are pretty good too. It comes with a lot of accessories but one important thing that it didn't come with is an SD card. That's probably a good thing as my past dealings with cheap memory were a complete failure. I only deal with Sandisk memory and have never had any issues with them. As an aside, I highly recommend the sandisk U3 A1 cards. You'll not be disappointed.

I will report back with my opinions on video quality. Of which, I will be shooting in 1080p/60.

bigone5500

So far I'm impressed with the video quality. I mounted the camera in the waterproof housing and to my dash. I drove around for a bit and came back (actually had to get gas and some coffee). I checked the video on my computer and it looked pretty good. The only thing is the waterproof housing makes the video have some annoying creaking noises. Other than that, I'm satisfied with the video portion. However, there are other video settings that I have not tried and my impression could be better or worse depending on their function. Still image quality is about on par with older cell phone cameras. I tried a few photos outside in full sunlight, with contrasting shadows, with the sky in the background and up close with small green tree. All photos were a bit blurry. I'm not sure if there is a way to adjust the focusing of the camera but a two step shutter button would be a great feature. But alas this camera is two versions ago and was replaced with the SJ7 Star, which will be replaced with the SJ8 series sometime this month or so.

Bottom line, for $128 including next day shipping, I think this camera is a great addition to your video equipment.

bigone5500

I got curious about the file sizes created when recording in 1080p 30/60. I sat the camera on my desk and held it very still. I recorded a 10 sec. video at both 30 and 60 fps. The 60 fps video was about 10MB larger. I'll be recording at 60 fps from now on. So much for trying to save on storage space. The file sizes were 28MB and 38MB respectively.

Tony

Staff member
Now do a test of 5 minutes and 10 minutes. I will bet you will see that 60 is pretty much double the size as 30 since there is twice as much information.

Top Bottom