Setting up Phoenix

stokke

Hey all!

I purchased Phoenix flightsim about three weeks ago.
Installation on the computer went smooth, and it immediately updated itself to v.4 - and it works perfectly.

I am using a Spektrum DX7s (which connects to phoenix with the included cable).
The setup was rather self-explanatory, and I was flying within minutes.

Well, enough praise to this fantastic product :tickled_pink:

So at first I had the tx set up at rather default controls.
No expo, no D/R, linear curves all over, servotravel to 100 etc.

After a week or so I discovered that there are settings like "simulator speed" and "model setup".
So I started tweaking these settings.
Put sim speed to 100%, and edited the "model setup" from "intermediate" to "advanced" (from 50% to 100% on a rotary slider/dial).
After doing this the sticks became crazy sensitive, and my bird (450 3gx) flew like a drunk penguin (that's right, penguins don't fly).

So now I know that first week of flying was probably totally useless, since the bird wasn't tuned to resemble real life at all.

I have now done this regarding settings:

Align TREX 450 Pro V2 3GX
Simulation speed: 100%
Model setup: Advanced (100%)

Upon calibration of the radio these settings were set in the radio:
No expo.
D/R set to full on both throttle and pitch (the diagonal line reaches from the very bottom left to the very top right).
Servo travel set to 150% on all channels (this translates to 100% in actual servo movement if I am not mistaken).
Everything else set to standard.

After calibration was finished:
Expo: Arround 20~25% on aileron, elevator and rudder.
Servotravel Aileron: 100%/100%
Servotravel Elevator: 100%/100%
Servotravel Pitch: 150%(+)/130%(-)
IU:Normal pitch curve: Nice and easy, with a bit of negative on low throttle.

These settings tamed the bird quite a bit, and I am now able to fly it pretty steady.
BUT, how does this compare to the real thing?

Within two days I am ordering the real deal (OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!) - and of course I am interested in that my training can be applied when starting to fly.
In advance; Thanks for any input at all on this subject!

Tony

Staff member
If you can fly a twitchy helicopter in the sim, you will be able to fly the Pro v2 3GX in real life. I'm here to tell you, once you get that gyro setup, it's almost cheating with it in the air, it's just crazy stable. And you can go in where the gyro will correct so much that it's almost hands off stable, or you can put it where it's more reactive for performance flight.

I have never flown on Phoenix but I want to and I'm looking for a copy so I can compare it to RF6. With that said, the above is about all I can say on the matter. If you follow along with my build videos and take your time on the setup, you will have a great helicopter on your hands to learn with.

stokke

Thanks for the input!
I`ve been watching your build-vids on Youtube, and I must say; You couldn't have picked a better time to start posting!
As mentioned above, I will be neck deep in the 450 3gx-build soon, and your videos is a perfect way to prepare for the task - not to mention to have as a reference while building.
I did watch all the parts, but still have some questions. But I will get back to this in a more suitable part of the forum.

Anyways, still open for more input from other users on the topic at hand!

sterlingh

Do I understand you or does anyone know if you get the cable with the sim for my dx6i? I have CV now, but thinking I really want to try the Phoenix. I bought the wrong cable for my dx6i and CV, but since I want to try Phoenix anyway if it comes with cable I just may make the switch.

How about this for a question also, you guys with Phoenix think its worth the money to get it even though i have CV already. I really want to use my dx6i so the cable for that would be a must for me.

Thanks

stokke

I have no experience with CV, but I gotta tell you; I LOVE PHOENIX!
No bragging intended; but people say I progress fast while learning to fly - well, it's all thanks to this awesome sim!

A cable is included with the software, which plugs directly in all Spektrum radios!

There is no doubt, Sterling; you should get this product :D

sterlingh

Hey Marius,

Thanks for the input it sounds very exciting. I was not sure about the cable from reading some other post. However those posts are a little older which may explain it. I have a LHS close by and will give them a shout out. If I can get that cheaper than shipped I will do it. I have actually gotten a little better with Clearview. That is to say I have been able to hover for awhile, and have actually done some flips. However, it's time to start learning the settings and make sure I'm not wasting time. I have seen Phoenix at the LHS, however somebody is usually on it and stays on it, so I yet to try it.. Looking forward to using my own TX as well.. Will start back up on my build this week looking forward to it. If you've been following my "sport thread" then you may know how busy I got for a while. However looks much lighter this coming week. Can't wait to get caught back up.. Anyway thanks for your words and recommendation.. Hope Phoenix has my bird.

sterlingh

Yea I checked and saw it does not have de sport. Oh well , I hope the 450 SE is close enough. I believe it is but an not certain..

My LHS has it and I will go pick it up tomorrow. Same price as online, NO shipping. That surprised me a bit and happily so.

Tony

Staff member
You will have to pay taxes on it, but that's about it. And yes, the SE is the same as the sport as far as a sim goes. Get it and you will love it. Just make sure to adjust the graphics settings to where your computer can handle it.

sterlingh

Thanks Tony. I did forget about the taxes until I bought it yesterday. lol no matter because like you say I will love it and I do. It's kind of strange I had the FMS in the very beginning with that cheap little controller, and I liked it well enough. It was rather cartoony for sure. Then heard about and tried out Clearview, big difference between FMS and Clearview, of course Clearview being more realistic. So I was very excited about Clearview and stunned at the differences. I can actually hover and fly a little bit with the FMS, but when I got on Clearview I had to start all over again. However this Phoenix Sim, is way beyond Clearview, and the FMS sim should not even get a mention. I've not been on it that long but WOW. I can see there is lots to learn about settings and the whatnot. However I can barely even hover again, can't really fly either. I was actually doing flips in the Clearview, then learned to land as well land. Now it's like starting all over again. I cannot even hold the T Rex 450 SE in a hover position very well. I did get online and find that incredibly cool, even though a lot of models I guess I do not have downloaded. (YET!)

Much to learn with this new Phoenix Sim, however I think the very first thing I want to do is learn to set up my DX6I. At least that way I will know I'm flying for sure. Man, I hope you guys are right. If I learn to fly in this Phoenix I will be able to fly my sport? I only say this because it's what I thought with the FMS, and with Clearview for sure, I thought I would be able to fly. Now I'm glad my bird is not finished. If I was to have flown my heli the same way I did on Clearview I have a bad feeling what would have happened. In any case I am loving Phoenix and appreciate the strong recommendations in this whole forum to purchase it.. You guys are great thanks a lot for being here..

stokke

It's incredible how realistic they've managed to get this sim.
I take the training in Phoenix very seriously, I do not attempt anything in real life before managing it in the sim first.

Good luck "simming". LOL

sterlingh

When calibrating is completed in the Phoenix sim, the program states that," if more than two of the bars are moving when using the throttle, swashplate mixing may is still enabled." It then recommends disabling in your Tx menu settings. I don't see where I have swash plate mixing enabled , but I do have two bars moving at the same time on my throttle stick when moving it .

The program also says swash type should be set to 1servo 90*which I have set. Anyone know why I still get movement on both bars?

EDIT: Never mind about this question. It seems to operate ok enough, and in the help menu under calibration, it stated that in heli mode two bars may move smoothly and from one extent to another. This is what mine is doing. Seems like this should be noted when setting up.

Last edited:

sterlingh

Marius,you are right it is most incredible how realistic this program is. I like the way the helicopter looks as well as the background scenery. Much better than Clearview, and no contest to FMS. No knock on Clearview, because I'm sure one can learn to fly on that Sim, but Phoenix just seems so much better. I am really liking it so far and feel like it's much closer to the real thing than anything else I've tried so far. Great sim for anybody thinking about buying one.

Bruno

can I choose which ever model setting I have programmed in my TX , fire up the software and will it recognize those model-specific settings?

- - - Updated - - -

Can I switch to stunt mode effectively while using the software?

Top Bottom