450 Servo Question

fireman7234

hello guys got a quick question i got a few older hitec servos ive had for years just laying around they are the
HS-56HB feather servo could i use one of them for the tail servo on a 450 heli. just trying to put them to use instead of spending more money just let me know thanks

Tony

Staff member
That servo is too slow to work on a tail of a helicopter. And that servo is analog and will not work with most tail gyro's.

fireman7234

thanks tony for the help brother really appreciate it. what tail servo would you recommend that want break the bank and im using a detrum gy48v gyro with hot glue mod

Tony

Staff member
IMO, you don't want to skimp on the tail electronics. I chased the tail for a few years before I finally upgraded to a higher end servo and gyro, and it made a huge difference. No longer was I chasing the tail and I could concentrate on just flying. In my case, on my 450 SE V2 I run an Align GP-780 gyro with an Align DS520 tail servo. You should be able to find both of those pretty cheap used. And also, like I mentioned in the live stream, that gyro you have is a piezoelectric gyro that uses a crystal to control the tail and temperature can and will affect it pretty badly.

KLA

A good alternative would be a HK GA250 (Assan ga250) gyro and a Turnigy 306g servo (same as KST 313). At Hobbyking the ga250 gyro is only $13 and it has a MEMS sensor, and I believe that Tony has a video here somewhere on how to set it up. The 306g servo is about $25 at HK and is an excellent servo for the price. I have one on my 450 Pro and have no tail problems.

KLA

That's basically a clone of the good ol Futaba 9257. I have a very similar 9257 clone on my 450 sev2 and it also works great

Top Bottom