450 servo gone nuts

pj1969

Hi there, ive just rebuilt my GL450 heli after it's maiden flight ended in a collision with my BBQ lol and ran into a few problems, can anyone help??????
i had to change a servo (aileron) on the left hand side, i have done that, then had to reset all swash and links etc, which i found Tony's videos very helpfull, but the problem is with the new servo i have fitted, when i throttle up to check all's well etc and track blades, it goes mental and jerks around and goes fully up. It's like its getting interference from the other servo's. Any idea what to do?????? This is my first re-build and any help would be great. :welcoming:

Westy

LEGEND
one of the other servos may be faulty .... or that one. Take the main blades off and try disconnecting one at a time and attempt to duplicate the fault ... if you dont get the issue with one of the other servos disconnected. that is the one that is faulty.

pj1969

one of the other servos may be faulty .... or that one. Take the main blades off and try disconnecting one at a time and attempt to duplicate the fault ... if you dont get the issue with one of the other servos disconnected. that is the one that is faulty.

Morning westy, thanks and spot on!!! the servo that i'd fitted was faulty, i swapped all 3 for brand new turnigy's and hey presto all good. just after i'd finished, my tail servo went so i've had to put one in there too, jeeze this heli hobby lark is never ending and cost ££££'s. just setting it all up now, any good tips on leveling the swash?? i dont have a swash plate leveler just yet only my wonky eye haha.

Westy

LEGEND
Glad it helped .... I had the same issue with my old 450..... it is in my nest of you tube vids :)

as far as levelling swash .... you can use a cable tie and use that to get it sorted .... but the most accurate is the swash levelling tool and I highly recommend putting it into your must have basic tool setup kit.

Lee

Are all your cyclic servos the same type?
Plug each servo separately into the rudder port on your RX. Use the rudder stick to see if the servos act normally or not. If they work then try putting a servo into each of the ports on your RX to test it for problems.
Let us know if that works or we need to look further.

orbi

Hi guys .... can you tell me why my tail servo ds 520 is centring itself in a different position 3 times out of 4. every time I leave it and switch on say in a couple of hours the darn arm is way off centre. I even had it go almost around on itself. and bent my rod. Ive had it out of the mount around 8 times and had the arm on and set up about 20 times. Ive tried it in different Rx, should I get rid, ive no confidence in using it anyhow.

murankar

Staff member
Might be stripped. Check for grinding, notchiness and other not normal feelings. That servo has a gear replacement pack you can buy for under $10.

Lee

Are you setting it up in rate mode or Head hold? It needs to be in rate mode to find the servo centre. Put the arm on and you should be good. Then you can switch it back to HH. The servo will never centre in HH mode as its constantly try to adjust the tail.

Westy

LEGEND
as Lee mentioned .... in HH mode the servo will still slowly creep ... this is normal.... all the helis I have had ... even with great servos on them ... do it ... my current 600 does it too.....
But to have the servo spin round on itself, tehn you need to make sure you have set your end to end travel limits as it should not do that if you have it set up right

Tony

Staff member
Most likely a dirty POT (Potentiometer). But a stripped gear can do the same thing inside the servo, or sticky ball links or dirty bearings.

Graham Lawrie

I had a wire bare on my pitch servo that did the same, I replaced them all and stripped the bad one to find a bare(cut) in the cable:(

orbi

Hi I think this guy has his servo reversed. if it is spinning hard round on itself then that sounds as if the gyro is reversed. check the movement of the gyro. Pick up the tail in HH mode and move it to the left. The slider on the rotor bar should move RIGHT. If the gyro flutters and stops then check the servo for burn out and check the travel on your TX. also re check the limit set on your gyro itself. I had a problem myself with this one !. Check the power to and from receiver. Gyro s are extremely sensitive thats what theyre there for, theyre designed to react on the slightest movement, ie wind or external forces that are put on them. if your travel limits have not been set properly on the servo they could burn out!!! giving you the impression that your gyro has kaput.
when powering up in HH mode leave the heli steady for 10 seconds to allow the gyro to stabilize itself.

orbi

...Hi, just one other thing.....when a gyro /heli moves it will " flitter" but when the heli is stationary the gyro will "stop" it doesnt switch off it just sits there idle till another move is made, it is trying " to Hold" the heli in its original position. so when you say it flitters and stops is this what you mean?

Top Bottom