450 Servo Flip?

Rob Lancaster

Oh hey, I got my new servos today. Wow all the way to Hawaii in three days.. That's what I like about amain hobby; their fast and the shipping was free! Love it!

Ok time for the question of the day...
As you guys know, I upgraded to the Hitec HS-5065MG digital servos. same as the old ones but digital.
It says PROGRAMMABLE on the package. What does that mean?

Rob Lancaster

That's what I thought, especially after I found the slim paper instructions...:biggrin1:
I was hoping I didn't need a program doo hickee box.
Thanks boss!!
Hey I just installed them, and getten ready to center the horns; fun, fun fun!!….

murankar

Staff member
that's a feature for a specific application, you fill in the blank as to the application, Helis are not all that complex to need a program to rum them. All they need is the input fr the sticks.
Besides I don't even know what you would want to program on them.

Rob Lancaster

Hi guys!
I finally took up the 450 today.
No servo drift now but I still need to trim it up a bit.
Also I need to dial in the gyro too. seems to be jittering back and for a bit.
The tracking could be better too...

One thing I noticed was, I wasn't getting any telemetry.
I get telemetry with the Blade 130S so it must be the TM1000 on board the 450.
Anyway I'll check it but if its fried; its going into the recycle bin...
I still need to scoop up that Trex 450 pro at my LHS... I really want to work with that head and such before moving on.
All the electronics I have on the 450 clone will be perfect for that babee!...
Upwards guys!!
Rster...

Rob Lancaster

Hi everybody, mostly good news; HA!
Ok she flies great after a bit of trimming.. But there's still a slight horizontal wiggle in the tail. I pretty much went up and down the gyro settings but still a slight wiggle..

I thought I read somewhere on the site, about maybe the ESC's (P and I) settings may be the cause.
Running the Hobbywing Platinum V4 ESC ( I have the P-BOX) and the Scorpion 2520 3500kv 11.1v motor... Trex 450 clone...

Oh;! The telemetry problem was a simple rebinding thing. I took the TM-1000 out of the loop while I was testing the servo problem. Some of the tests required rebinding, (but without the TM1000 in the loop). When I re-hooked up the TM-1000 again to the AR8000, there was no telemetry until I simply rebound everything together. BOOM! there she blows! I'm all proud of myself now, he, he, hee....

Anyway, what do you guys think about that pesky tail wiggle??
Rster...

Tony

Staff member
tail wiggle sounds like a tail gyro issue. It can be the ESC as you stated, but you would not only have to be running a governor but you would also hear the motor ramping up and down quickly. To me, this is a gyro thing.

It can be one of 3 things. Either the gain is too high, the gain is too low, or you are using a cheap servo on the tail that can't keep up. If you are using a slower tail servo (I know you posted this before but with lack of time, TLDR), you can add just a touch of delay to get rid of the hunting.

Speaking of hunting, lets talk about the different tail movements. "Slight Wiggle" only says so much. If it is fast, it's an oscillation. If it is slow, it is hunting.

If you are hunting, then the tail gain is either too low or your servo is not fast enough. If you have oscillations, then your gain is too high.

And congrats on the telemetry. I have been there myself lol.

Rob Lancaster

I'd say; with your descriptions above, it's more like an oscillation (quick)… I've been creeping upward on the gyro and now I'm at 63%. It seems to like the higher % but still a slight oscillation remains. My gyro is a Spartan Quark and the servo is a Futaba S9257 digital...
The ESC is set for GOV- store...

What is the delay you mentioned? Robs curios about that...

Hey what about this... I recently replaced the belt and idler pulley in the tail assembly. Should I reset the gyro? You know, end points, centering and all that stuff... Maybe after reassembly something isn't exactly the same.
Rster...

murankar

Staff member
Look at the ball to center distance on the servo arm. If the ball is fine at our you can get a slow way. This causes by the servo not having the resolution needed to center up.

Rob Lancaster

I finally reset the gyro and took her out for a couple of flights today. I also played around with the gain. It's better but the tail is still slightly oscillating. Sometimes it's stable and sometimes she oscillates a little... Other than that she flies good.

Top Bottom