General servo confusion

treff

I have watched a number of videos on youtube, etc and I am getting confused about the naming of the three servos used in a heli, besides the tail servo. What are they. I.E. the servo at the back, not the tail servo. I have now heard this called elevator, pitch and cyclic. So which is which? viewed from tail end. front of heli left side ???????? Front of heli right side ?????? and finally servo usually place just behind main shaft. ??????
Getting confused and getting older waiting for bits to arrive. Please put an old, old b*****ger out of his misery. Thanks

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Treff, the one inline with the main shaft is the elevator
The left side looking from tail, is pitch
The right side is aileron
All three of the above are your cyclic servos

The pitch and aileron can change sides but the elevator is always in line with the shaft, be it in front or behind.

stokke

There is a group of three servos controlling the main blades - these are called cyclic servos. The cyclic servos are called; Pitch, Aileron and Elevator.

The Aileron servo controls sideways movement (rolling). It is usually mounted up front on the left or right side.

The Pitch servo controls the collective pitch (ascend/descend). It is usually mounted up front on the left or right side.

The Elevator servo controls the forwards/backwards movement. It is usually mounted in the rear.

Although each servo has a specified task, they all work together to achieve movement.

treff

Thanks Slobberdog and Stokke I was beginning to get confused. A case of the more I read and watched videos the more confused I was becoming but now all cleared up thanks for the quick replies. I am going to put this on the wall above the bench LOL. Why do replacement parts always take twice as long when you need them. It's like watching a boiling kettle LOL

Westy

LEGEND
Here is a good way I remember ... perhaps it will help

Every one knows the Alphabet and can read a clock right?????
Well here is how I do it.
Standard practice is:

imagine a clock placed on top of the heli with 12 O'clock represents the nose and 6 O'clock represents the tail....
Starting in an anti-clockwise direction starting at 2 o'clock

2 O'clock = Aileron
10 O'clock = Pitch
6 O'clock = Elevator

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom