Server Update

Tony

Staff member
I have been working on the server trying to find this forumrunner issue, and I keep finding more and more issues that my last host has burried deep into the server that are keeping me from fixing the issues. I have started talks with my host and we are working on moving the forum to a new server that is clean.

This move could put RCH off line for a while while we move all of the files that make up RCH. If the forum goes off line, don't worry, we will be back. I'm tired of banging my head on the wall chasing these issues in circles, so it's time to do what I should have done when we left that jack hole. It's time to start with a clean server that is dedicated to RCH.

If you have questions or comments, post them below.

Dirk

Oh no! No RCH fix for a couple of days?? But yeah, better to start on a clean sheet. Let us know when the switch is happening sir.

Tony

Staff member
Paul, Dirk, At this time I do not have a definite time when the forum will go down. I'm working with my host to find out how we can make this move as seamlessly as possible. If we can get the DNS settings correct, the forum won't go down, but we may lose a couple posts or pictures. But, we are going to try to keep from that.

To say that my last host screwed things up is an understatement. I have been chasing issues since I moved to his server. These new servers are 1000x better than what we were on.

I will be posting an update, hopefully tonight, of when all of this is going to happen. Worst case scenario is I have to purchase another server, transfer files and the database and wait for the DNS to populate. Takes up to 48 hours to do that after moving the files, which are quite large for this little forum lol. It's not as small as it seems. There is a LOT of information here.

I will let you guys know. But know that I'm trying to find the quickest way to do this.

Tony

Staff member
Just had to get a little sideways with my host. I hate it when I have to do that to get answers. I have had my issue taken up to a top level and they are trying to work out how to get all of this done. At this time, I do not have a time of when the forum will go down or how long it will take. From what I know about servers and the internet, and it's above average, this should not be that hard. Shut the forum down to save all posts and images, transfer all files over, move DNS and domain to new server, wait to populate (about 4 hours) and the site is back up. A day at most. They just want to make it difficult.

So I'm still working on this issue. I'm hoping that a clean server with nothing on the back end corrupting the forum or the forumrunner app. I will keep you guys posted on how things are going.

Tony

Staff member
Hey everyone, I'm going to be moving some files tonight so some things may change on here. They shouldn't, but they might. I may also make the server change tonight if all goes well. If I do make the move, I will be closing the forum until it's back up and running again. Should only be a couple of hours, but could be up to 2 days. Just a warning in case the forum is offline for a couple days. As always, you can email me at admin@rc-help.com and I will answer any questions on this move that I can.

Thanks for understanding.

Tony N.

Top Bottom