Boats seaport boat

graybold

hi -I have a seaport rc boat (dont laugh)-I have removed the water tank -sealed the hull -put a big weight in the bottom of the hull -works fine -doesnt tip over -BUT -big trouble-I have foolishly connected the battery the wrong way round -it now does not respond to the remote control (if I connect up the motor direct to the battery it spins very slowly)-is this a write off -because I would like to fix it if possible -I guess some component has become fried -any help appreciated-regards graham

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Welcome to the forum graybold. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that boat has sunk. A good % of the time when connecting power backwards, it turns out not to be a good thing... sorry.

RandyDSok

Since it's likely a generic brand.... it may be a write off if you can't source compatible replacement parts.

The likely parts that could have burnt out are the ESC and/or the receiver. Sometimes these are all-in-one components and not separate items.

Typically, if it's typical... when you apply power to an ESC, you will get some tones played back. If you did hear tones before and not now... this is a good candidate for replacement. If you still hear the tones.... look at the receiver instead ( for now ). Remember there are two types of ESC's, one's for brushed motors and one's for brushless. On either, the replacement needs to match or exceed the amp output and support the voltage of the original ESC.

If it's the receiver... you must find a compatible receiver. For instance, with a Spectrum radio, they use DSM or DSMX protocols and Futaba radios use S-FHSS/FHSS or FAAST protocols... each brand often has it's own protocol so you'll need to find a compatible receiver if you are going to replace it or you would need to replace both the receiver and transmitter both.

Last edited:

RandyDSok

My own opinion matches D.O.G.'s statement a lot... generic toy hobby grade RC products are often a write off when something bad happens. The companies seldom sell spare replacement parts or are so cheap, it may not be worth it in the end.

Tony

Staff member
I concur with the above. I would pull out the electronics and take a look at the board, mainly the ESC. There is likely a diode or mosfet that has released all of the magic smoke.

Admiral

Sounds like a total electronics refit to me, firstly look at what it's going to cost you it could be more than its worth.

Top Bottom