450 Scale 500D body

Rob Lancaster

Hi all,
I needed a new build so I just ordered a new charger to replace the very old and drifty chargers I had. iSDT Q8 Max DC Lithium Battery Charger (8S/30A/1000W) [ISD-Q8MAX] Thanks for the tip Geena!

I need to get a better Balance on my kind of old battery packs. If the packs are gone, their gone.

Anywho, after that I want to convert my Trex 450 Pro into a scale Hughes 500D. RC Helicopter MD500E 450 Pre-Painted fuselage for 450 Size Helicopters.Suitable for Almost All 450 Size(325mm Rotor Blade) Helicopters, Such as: Align T-REX450X/XL/SE/SE V2
Is this a good idea or will I screw up my chopper?
Also, I know the conversion will affect the weight. But will she still be able to do simple loops and rolls? Remember, I'm no stunt pilot but I want to know what I'm getting into, know what I mean folks...
Thanks...........

RandyDSok

Adding the body will also affect the temps that your motor and electronics will have. How much will depend on how much your current body closes off those items and lets them cool down.

You can also sort of test how the added weight will affect the general flight characteristics but you won't know about loops and rolls with this test since it will be changing the CG to a much lower position. Still, in level flight you can see how the weight affects it to help give you an idea at least.

Build some way to add additional weight to the landing skids. Take the existing body, weigh it, subtract that weight from the body you are considering and make a load that you can attach equal to that amount. Now, take out the heli and fly it normally with the original body but only fly it in level flight, no loops, rolls or other stunts since you won't be able to test those anyway since adding the weight to the skids will also drop the models CG down a lot. Now land and then add the additional load you made, of course secure it so it doesn't fall off in the downwash. Now test fly again with the additional weight again keeping it in level flight.

Then ask yourself if the aircraft feels as if it would have enough power to perform those additional stunts or not. I suspect it to be more sluggish and slower responding because of the added weight... but you are looking at if there is additional power still that would allow the stunts you mentioned.

As for testing for added heat... if you have a no touch thermometer you may be able to simulate that also by using some type of tape that you can attach to your current body to enclose it more. Take temps before adding the tape... and again afterword. Just make sure the tape won't mess up the paint or leave to sticky of a residue on the canopy.

Being Mr. Obvious now... I'll also point out that someone adding a scale body type, is also probably thinking they are going to fly in a scale manner which wouldn't include loops or rolls... so just saying to so it was said, I assume you already know it.

Admiral

I had the same fuselage (different color) that I bought damaged, Randy is right about the U/C needs beefing up, I had a standard Align 450 in it on S3. It flew OK but defiantly no stunting. I decided it didn't look scale enough with the two blade head so I added a four blade head again flew OK but struggled with tail authority , I upgraded to S6 and a Scorpion motor and the rest of the gear required still had tail issues, so replaced the 450 tail blades with align 500 blades (no issues because of the height it sits) that fixed the tail problems. Ended up being destoyed by a servo failure while in a hover from about 6 feet up. Never did any stunts with it but sure that it had enough power to handle it.

RandyDSok

Randy is right about the U/C needs beefing up,

I actually had not thought about that... and I'd agree now that it was mentioned. I was just talking about simulating the weight by attaching it ( the difference ) to the LG temporarily.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Everyone has brought up some serious thoughts and questions. There are excellent kits for a conversion from pod/boom to scale, sometimes a little modification is needed. My Augusta A109 is a 450 size helicopter is such a bird and I'm not worried about it in flight. Tony (fran11784 ) set them all up perfectly be they scale or pod/boom to a FBL system. Prior to them I had flown fly bar helicopters. But Hulk Jr. on the other hand has raised some concerns being he's completely scratch built. Not worried about his mainframe components because they're setup right. The multi main rotor head was a challenge in it self. The issues raised by everyone on this thread has been on my mind for a while. Being so much money, time and energy in this built, I personally don't see a lot of flights. Guess I'm overly caution or protective towards him and will feel better after the maiden flight. I know that's part of the hobby that you'll crash, but of all my other birds fix or rotor Hulk Jr. is different. As always your feedback is most welcome:peaceful: Best regards, Jim

Last edited:

Rob Lancaster

Ok sorry for the delay..
Yup I figured she wouldn't be a crack stick chopper anymore and that might be a good thing? HA! And looking at the added weight of over 300 grams, I might want more blades as well. But for now, cool it Rob...

Thanks all on all the info for sure. Some questions are coming.
First, I heard that the landing gear (struts needed stiffening) Right?
When you refer to the undercarriage, are you referring to the same thing? Just want to be clear.
Thanks again all...

Rob Lancaster

Oh, I keep forgetting to clarify, that the model pictured in the link is a 500D NOT E.. And if you want to split hairs, their full sized cousins are registered as a 369D Not 500D. When I inquired about this years ago to Hughes/MD helicopters , I got the same answer, no one really knows why the 500D stuck. Also that Magnum paint job is really a factory paint scheme from 1976. Well before the series. And now you know the rest of the story...... Night tall..........

Rob Lancaster

So what's a good way to strengthen the landing gear? I've heard rumors and now you guys say yes, the landing gear needs buffing up. I'm open to all ideas on this one.

Oh hey the new charger seems to work nicely but when I opened it up, the screen had no plastic cover and it had smears and small scratches. Hows this, you know that little plastic tab that's supposed help in the removal of the plastic face cover? Well it was there but no protective cover to remove, humm.... Testing continues...

RandyDSok

When considering a landing gear upgrade there is one important engineering detail you should also address. Often they are designed to be a point of failure so the rest of the aircraft isn't damaged in a hard landing. So if you do decide to upgrade it... just don't go to far or other more expensive parts may break during a hard landing.

That being said, I'd look to see if some softer aluminum gear exists for relatively cheap and avoid stiffer carbon fiber variants that may be available. If you are able to successfully weld aluminum yourself, then building one would be an option but few people are capable of it... so I almost didn't mention that.

Rob Lancaster

Ok, thanks for the info for sure.
You know, I'm think'n, maybe build a 500 scale instead of 450 scale chopper??? Hummmm.....

Anyway the new charger is working great. I've been practicing charging and discharging my semi old packs. Maybe I can save the 2200 mAh 3S packs for my 450 Trex.

Top Bottom