450 Runaway!!

hawk-i

Hey guys I was flying one of my trex 450 clones today when all of a sudden it went full throttle and went way up and then crashed in my driveway. I suspect a bad speed controller but not sure. Has anyone ever run into this problem? It's a flybar type with spectrum rx and 35 amp spectrum speed controller. How would a guy check something like this. It kind of scared the crap out of me. there were no kids in my yard but there were some in the next yard over.

hawk-i

I really don't know. It happened so fast and I really just wanted it to come down without hurting anyone. I don't fly in idle up so I chopped the throttle and let it go.

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I had the same thing happen to me about 3 weeks ago. Turn out to be a bad, at the time, Elev. servo. I was started to take off in idle up mode and you want to talk about fast runaway. I would check the servo. Went bad on me and might be bad on you also. Good luck!

stokke

A failing servo shouldn't cause the heli to give full throttle (unless it were a nitro)?

The reason I ask about the cyclic control is to establish whether the heli went into fail-safe or not. You can easily check this by removing the main and tail blades, then run the heli on your table - then shut off your Tx, the heli should stop the motor completely.

hawk-i

I might think its a servo issue except that I heard the motor get louder and faster. That's why I kind of think its more of a esc problem. I have an extra I'm going to try and I'll post the results. Thanks guys.

pvolcko

Do some bench testing without blades on it. Run it up and down. Pretend you're putting a flight on it and see what it does. Check all wires to make sure they aren't frayed (particularly the throttle wires). Connectors are secure. Did you notice any blinking lights on the Rx before pulling power after the crash? ESC beep patterns? IF it is a castle ESC or something with data logging, definitely check out the logs and see if it shows anything unusual. And check the fail-safe behavior on the bench. Run it up to 60-70% thottle stick position and then turn off the transmitter. If the motor runs up then you have a likely answer and you need to redo your bind with proper fail-safe stick positions.

murankar

Staff member
This is where we need to pay attention after a crash like this. If the ESC had an issue it may have been flashing an error code or something.

Thus happened to my Protos mini last year. Doing some big collective pumps and next thing I know its flying on its one. Motor sped up and it took a hard left aileron turn and dirt darted.

Things it could have been

1) servos pulled to many amps. If this happened then the RX would have shut down or browned out.
2) LVC, again possible brown out.
3) Bad connections, going back to lack of current to the RX.
4) Radio, could be many things here. Poor antenna placement ( straight out from radio), weak batteries, interference which would cause a lock out.

that's just 4 possibilities. Would need to know about any error codes on the ESC. I don't think you had any because if you did then you would have said something. Error codes from an ESC will either be flashing lights or motor beeps.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

hawk-i

I'm using a 35 amp e-flight esc but I didn't notice any flashing lights or beeping. The e-flight doesn't have telemetry. Still using my dx61 {still haven't figured out how to program my FRsky Taranis yet} But everything else I have flies fine with this radio.

murankar

Staff member
Its not a telemetry thing. Some ESC manufactures will embed code that will inform the pilot if something happened out of the ordinary, things like power loss, over voltage or LVC. Not all ESCs have this error detection. If you did have it then we would be able to narrow down the cause. I am almost certain Castle Creations has error detection in their ESCs, not sure which Scorpion ESCs have it and I know Kontronic has it.

Last edited:

pvolcko

Yeah, Castle ESCs will beep and flash error codes at you, they also have logging where you can download flight data and see what was going on too. Besides being reasonably priced and of decent quality, the logging feature is why I keep buying their stuff.

hawk-i

Hey guys glad to see the site back up. I changed out the esc and haven't had any more runaway problems. I think I'll just can the spectrum one. Crash's are just too hard on expensive parts and dangerous.

hawk-i

Just wanted to finish this. Changed out the esc and have not had another runaway issue. Don't think I'll trust that one in another bird.

- - - Updated - - -

Opp's didn't know I already had.

Rico

Hi hawk.

if you would like to test your old esc, you can look for a motor Mount to a air plane, that fit your motor, and put it on a littel plate.
that way you can test your esc with servos and motors all the time you want, with no danger, then it is easy to see if your esc is broken or not, you might just had a bad signal :)

Greetings Rico

murankar

Staff member
Bad signal, brown out, bad bec. who knows it could have been any of those. just leave it out of the mix for now, chances are its a failing bec.

murankar

Staff member
You could test it with a meter. Hook up a standard heli setup to it, attach a multimeter to it and but a load on it and see what happens. If the voltage drops into the 3 volt range then the bec is going.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom