rotary174

rotary174

hi, I'm rotary174 but in here you can call me Gary. I'm old as dirt, live in Vegas and am retired. 3 months ago I decided to fly RC helicopters. As a passenger, I have several thousand hours in helicopters (Offshore oil wells for 15 years). I'm an extra-class amateur radio operator, a licensed private pilot, and an A+ certified computer tech as well as an electronics technician....or at least in my past I have been / done these things. None of this nonsense helped me to learn how to fly RC helicopters. In fact....I now have 3 collective pitch machines and have yet to fly one....but that's another story. I'm ugly and getting fragile....but I'm tough. I can do this. I've flown the simple stuff...NANO QX and the MCx2. I can do head in flight....but both machines are now unflyable display models. I have about 20 hours on each one....indoors only. On my bench is an HK-250 that I'm struggling with....but now, thanks to RC help....I'm almost there. In the boxes are 2 HK-450 V2 Trex clones waiting for assembly....all parts ready to go. I have a DX6i and a Blade SR----never flown....but came alive during testing....flew under my couch...and self destructed....brand new out of the box. The worst part was explaining that to my wife. I hid out for weeks. The word "HELICOPTER" is not allowed beyond my shop. I just ordered a Turnigy 9X V2....the radios I can deal with...it looked cool...couldn't resist. Just got my AMA card...looking for a flying field because I may need one someday. Hope the 250 doesn't corrode before I fly it. Really hoping to swap sea stories with some of you guys....and that's about it. Think I'll have a nice glass of warm milk and go to bed....wow it's nearly 8PM. Gotta go. bye bye

Barge

Great resume` Gary, stick with it and it will come, have you got a sim programme you can practise on, Phoenix or Real Flight, they help getting the thumbs going in the right direction. Heaps of high level help here, ask and ye shall receive.

Lee

Welcome to the forum Gary.
Sounds like you are having fun, and thats what counts.
Let us know how we can help :)

rotary174

Thanks for the encouragement guys....never did this gig before....forums....but I'm game. Feel like I'm treading on thin ice here. But here goes. I better read the rules....and figure out how to navigate this little world of yours. My biggest problem will be trying to figure out the "lingo" used here. Don't want to sound like a worm (in the oil field...a worm is a new guy). See yall around....and thanks again. Gary

Tony

Staff member
Hey Gary, welcome to RCH!! Sounds like you have done a lot in your life. But you are right, once you grab the sticks to an Rc Helicopter, none of it comes into play. All it takes is practice. Once in a while, you need to push yourself a little, but not too hard. No matter what though, we are here to help.

And don't worry about "treading thin ice". We are here to help the beginner pilot get started. Other forums don't like "worms" (lmao) asking the same question over and over, but here, ask away! No one knows what they don't know until they know it. And the only way to know it is to ask the question. So feel free to post up. All that we do ask is that you post in the correct forum. If you have Tx questions, post up in the Tx section. If you have general helicopter questions, post up in the Helicopter Beginner Help Section.

Most importantly, have fun with the hobby! That is what it's here for!

:welcome1:

rotary174

Thanks a lot Tony. So far I am very impressed with the site.....especially the rules. There are many people online who seem to spoil everything. I certainly don't fall into that category. It will take me some time to figure things out here but I am optimistic about having a good time at this site. Don't hesitate to let me know if I've stepped out of line because I am still a bit naïve when it comes to this type of format. Also, I would like to thank you for making those videos....they sure helped me out when I became discouraged because my seemingly logical approach just did not work. Thanks again. Gary

Stambo

Welcome to the RC Help family.
As far as asking questions, find the right section and ask away.
The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask and wish you had. :)

As far as the 9X goes, they are a great piece of value for money kit.
If you get game enough to flash it with ER9x or similar firmware, it becomes even more powerful.
I have one that has been handed down to my son as I now have a Taranis.
(To be honest the main reason for the upgrade was because it could talk :), and lots more model memories. :))

Hey Gary, welcome, I'm a newby too to the forum, and as old as dirt....lol, I'm still learning the rules of the forum, but these guys and gals are the most helpful people you could ask for, I'm in the UK but prefer this forum to others, totally addicted to this site..

Can't believe you have all those helis tucked away, I'd never go to bed with those to build and fly...

Happy flying

rotary174

Thanks for the shout guys. Looking forward to the 9x. Got the battery today....It should be here soon. Got my 250 flyable today and the new 450 should be here and will be controlled by the new XT. My other 450 will be orange RX with a DX6i. My next purchase is going to be the HK500....but I won't get it until I get both 450's in the air. I'll practice a bit with the 250....and that's if I can wait....that's the problem with this hobby....you want everything...right now. lol. Glad to know I'm not the only ancient one around Blackwarrier....thanks for the skinny on the 9X Stambo.....and the shout from Scotland Graham...Later Gary

There's plenty of us oldies on here Gary, we are not alone....lol

Get those birds in the air, and post some videos so we can see them

Catch you around the forum

Happy flying

Top Bottom