600 Recommendations on engine tuning

DAL2855

Banned
I have recently purchased the Compass Knight Sport 3D bird and am wondering about How you guys go about doing your engine tuning. I have the YS50ST motor on this bird which is brand new, never been started yet. And I am wondering how you guys go about doing your tuning. Do you remove your blades for initial start up to set the high side of carb or what? And any tuning suggestions for this engine would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Tony

Staff member
You can't tune the engine without it being in the air. You need the load on the engine as well as the air from the fan.

First thing is first, set the engine to factory settings. Then, start it up and get it running pretty good at an idle. this is done with sub trim only, maybe trim if you need to. Do NOT touch that low needle. Then, you will need to bring the heli into the air and put it under some load. Easiest way to do this for a beginner is with simple pitch pumps. Full positive to about 50', then full negative to about 20' then full positive again. Do this and listen to the engine. If the engine sounds sluggish, then put 2 hours on the high speed needle in. Meaning, act like the needle is a clock and turn 2 hours.

Keep doing the pitch pumps until you get an engine temp of about 180ºF.

You should not have to touch any mid or low needles from the factory settings. I know I don't on the OS 55HZ.

DAL2855

Banned
Ok great! Thanks alot Tony! I finally found a manual for it and set both needles to factory settings so now I'm ready to fire it up and see what she'll do!

Tony

Staff member
She will complain and spit fuel out of the exhaust lol. But, it's where you need to start. You may be able to go in about 3-4 hours (about 1/4 turn) once you know it's going to run, but I would definitely put it in the air before doing any other tuning.

DAL2855

Banned
I really wish I had someone nearby who could help me to tune it properly but that's life! I might know one guy who used to fly them, and btw, he might have a couple of old birds that I might be able to get my hands on! we'll see!

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, it helps when you have someone close to you that can help out. Here where I am, I'm it lol. Bunch of pot smokers and beer drinkers around here with the "business in the front, party in the back" haircut hahaha.

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah I live out in the middle of nowhere here in WV, nearest walmart is 45 miles away so that should tell you how far out I live! The nearest hobby shop is like 70 miles away! Which really sucks!

Tony

Staff member
You are farther out than I am. I have 3 walmarts within about 15 miles of me. Sadly, it's the same distance to the LHS that I HATE to go to lmao.

DAL2855

Banned
One of the local firemen used to fly Nitro Heli's, I talked to his son on Facebook the other night and he told me his dad still had a couple old Nitro birds so I'm gonna try to get my hands on them and maybe see if he'll come help me tune this engine properly!

canongraphy

Yeah, it helps when you have someone close to you that can help out. Here where I am, I'm it lol. Bunch of pot smokers and beer drinkers around here with the "business in the front, party in the back" haircut hahaha.

LMAO you crack me up Tony hahaha

DAL2855

Banned
Well I finally got her fired up and somewhat tuned this evening! God this thing is a power house! I got her light on the skids but the tail is WAY too sensitive, I think I got the ball in the wrong hole or something! I did end up having to use the original servo that came with the gyro, the 8700G servo. With the Solar Servo I had on it, it was compensating in the wrong direction I even tried reversing the servo but that didn't work so I just swapped out the servo for the original one that came with the gyro and it worked like a charm! I hope to get the tail issue fixed tomorrow and maybe even get to do the maiden flight! I will be recording it with my hat cam so you guys can see her fly!

DAL2855

Banned
Ok so I re-measured the tail servo ball and it was at 12mm ctc, I checked the manual and it's supposed to be at 11mm so I started checking every arm I had that would fit that servo and the closest I could get was 10mm so we'll see if that tames the tail response down a little! I sure hope so because that thing was crazy fast responsive when you barely touched the rudder stick in either direction! Will be firing it up again this afternoon so we'll see! Hopefully I'll get it dialed in and possibly hover it this afternoon!

DAL2855

Banned
Ok finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the tail setup, I did move the ball to the 10mm hole instead of 12mm, book says 11mm so I thought the 10mm would be better, and got to looking in my radio settings and EPA's for the rudder channel were set to 120% from when I initially setup the gyro so now I turned them down to 50% on each and it's responding much better! Before it was piroutting so darn fast it wasn't funny! But I got it figured out now! Now just need to get the other blade grips and swash plate to complete the DFC head and she's ready for the FBL conversion!

Top Bottom