Recommendations for servo cable, crimper, and connectors

Geena

Staff member
I have been using a Hensen Deluxe crimper for several years, and I`ve been very happy with it. It`s a little pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

Tony

Staff member
What do you think?
I have very similar crimpers and they will get the job done. It's not the best looking crimp and you may have to move it around to get it to look good and fit inside the servo plug, but at the end of the day, they do work. I have made quite a few servo extensions, and if you saw my video that brought you here, you saw exactly how mine work.

The ones that Geena posted will have a smoother and more accurate profile that will crimp perfectly every time as long as you have everything lined up. Just depends on pocked depth and if you are willing to play around with it.

If you have not seen my video, I linked it below. In the video, I also show a smaller pair of crimpers.

IDRick

Thanks, Geena! nice crimper! I did spend quite a bit of time looking around the Hansen Hobbies site.

Tony, thanks for the video, I found it while searching with google. Very well done!

This is a challenging time for me in that I don't know enough about the subject to be dangerous!

I’ve been evaluating options for servo extensions. Of course, the easiest route is to buy pre-made extensions but they are the most expensive option per foot of length. Other drawbacks include more connectors, less than optimal cable lengths, and leftover pieces.

The least expensive option is to purchase several short extensions (say 1 ft) and splice in servo wire to obtain optimal length. Would only need to purchase JR servo wire. I want to keep the same wire color code throughout (servo extensions, servo pigtails, and pigtail for Berrett Hill toggle switches).

The intermediate solution is to purchase my own crimper, connectors, and servo cable. The initial start-up cost would perhaps be the highest with this option but would provide the greatest future flexibility. This is the option I am currently entertaining but the splicing option also seems very desirable.

I need to find someone that will give me sound advice and I'm two would provide helpful advice!

What size servo wire do I need? From my reading, it seems that 26 gauge wire should be adequate since we're talking very low current (10 mA for each servo when idling, 100 mA when throwing a switch, and a very short 2A spike at startup).

Using the Hansen Hobbies example, do I need to pay for the deluxe servo wire or the economy be adequate? Max length for the extension is six feet There will be two gradual right turns (~4 inch radius). The servo wire will be bundled together and separated as needed to connect to the servo. They will rarely be moved once installed.

Should this servo wire bundle be twisted?

Given that I'm a total newbie with making extensions, should I splice in additional wire to commercial extensions or totally make my own? At the end of the day, probably talking about making 30 new or spliced extensions.

If I make my own, do I need the gold plated connectors?

I look forward to reading your replies!

Rick

IDRick

I need to add that I have now read the Hansen PDF file " A Brief Discourse on Connector Antics". Very helpful and partially addressed my above questions. Based on reading the document, I believe the economy wire will fine, maybe purchase 22 AWG due to ease of working, resistance will be very low even with 26 AWG for 5 to 6 ft run, deluxe is the better crimper.

RandyDSok

Ok... like what I'm going to post below... I suspect you will find little real data and mostly just opinions like I'm going to give....

As an analogy.... With audio, economy vs high end low oxygen speaker wires, there is a measurable difference but you'll find a lot of discussions if that difference is able to be actually heard by people. Now having said that, I did ( when I did audiophile stuff ) use the better quality wires because they also last longer.

I know as a fact, the larger wire ( lower guage number ) does make a difference in resistance and therefor the length that the wire will work well for. I also know most RC aircraft builders of larger models also use the larger wire.

What I can't make any comment on is aesthetics. I have no idea what would look more scale in your application.

Tony

Staff member
What size servo wire do I need?
For short runs under about 3', I would use the 26ga. If you are going longer, I would go the next size larger. As stated above, resistance would play a role in anything with a long run. How much, I honestly can't say as my longest servo extension I have made is about 6". However the longer the wire, the more resistance and you could get a voltage sag. I'm sure 22ga is not that much more when you are talking about buying a roll. I have no data to back this up, just going off working on electronics for a while.

do I need to pay for the deluxe servo wire or the economy be adequate?
I'm sure the economy will do just fine, but know, the higher quality stuff could have less resistance resulting in less voltage drop and less of an effect from what I stated above. If you go with the better wire, you may be able to run 26 and it may work as well as the larger cheap wire.

Should this servo wire bundle be twisted?
No, this is not carrying data like Ethernet cable, so no need to be twisted, unless you like the look. IMO, I would get flat wire to make it look as good as you can.

should I splice in additional wire to commercial extensions or totally make my own?
100% make your own. No need to have more plugs than needed. Once you get the technique down, making these will be quite simple.

If I make my own, do I need the gold plated connectors?
Gold plated will have lower resistance (if they are the good ends), but are not required.

I believe the economy wire will fine, maybe purchase 22 AWG due to ease of working
Yes, if you can swing it, always go larger. And if you have sausage fingers like me, larger wire is far easier to work with lol.

LooseNut

I also have the Hansen crimpers, as well as a a set of IWISS IWS-2820M (well used). I prefer the Hansens when I'm building and the IWISS are handy if someone wants to borrow them. Far more convenient than soldering on Deans connectors like years ago.

Top Bottom