450 Rebuild.......................again

treff

I finished a rebuild of a 450 yesterday after fast backwards learning flight................don't ask, it's a steep learning curve. Anyway, finished the rebuild
and it went pretty well, no real problems until I spooled up with the blades on. WOW! never seen a heli dance around the floor
in a frenzied jive before. lol. Stripped everything back on the head again, this is a fly-bared version and had another go. It was the same. Stripped it down
again and did another rebuild. Tried new set of blades, tail and main. Same, jumping around like Jack Flash. I thought the head block must be distorted or something like that
but then I had a brain wave. I had been using HK main blades and had tried 3 sets but the results was the same frenzied dance. I then tried an old set of plastic ones out of desperation
of last resort before I brought a new DFC head which cost more than the heli. The plastic blades which had come with my first helicopter were fitted as a last hope. Well! this is now the smoothest flying heli I have ever owned.
It's more like a hovercraft than heli. I'm amazed. The draw back is that the softness of the flying comes with a price. The price is all that can be done is to hover. It feels so strange, it's almost
like flying through water. I should have used these blades when I first began to fly helicopters lol. Anyway new blades on the way. I will in all probability change to a DFC head. I have a new controller
already to go. Its all the stick programming thats putting me off. Cheers guys

murankar

Staff member
If you want inexpensive blades that work check out the rjx blades. I have not heard anything bad yet. I was looking at them until I got my rails 326mm blades.

Did you balance and cg the hk blades? Sounds like an imbalance in blades or poor tension on the blades.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

treff

Thanks murankar I will have a look at those. Yes balanced the blades and they are not to far away. The C of G a problem though not sure where it should be for a fly-bared head.

Lee

Blades balanced, Blades CG, Blades too tight or Blades too loose.
Thats all the things that could cause a mad wobble on spool up.
If it was Tracking, then you would expect the plastic ones to be out of wack too.

treff

Thanks Lee Just ordered some align blades from Fast Lad but flying with the plastic narrow ones is very interesting
Update to this post. Very strange did the CofG and noticed that the blades were infact different lengths believe it or not.
I have never noticed before. No wonder the heli is jumping around. One was three quarters of an inch longer. Just like Mr Meldrew,
"I don't believe it" Can't understand how I never spotted it before.

- - - Updated - - -

Another update to previous. Just checked my other stock of HK blades and they are all different bloody sizes. I'm amazed. No wonder I canot get the helis to fly right.
I just never thought to check the length.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Take the 3 sets of blades that you have and weigh then with a gram scale. then just match up the ones that are closest. From there, balance them on a blade balancer and you will be set.

treff

Thanks Tony. Although some of the blades actually weigh the same they are in fact different lengths. I just never thought to measure their length. What I think has happened is that
under pressure of sales HK or their supplier as in fact slipped in blades of different sizes so they could meet sales demands. Another reason not to buy cheap although the price
of some of the named blades are just OTT in my opinion.

murankar

Staff member
Check out the rjx blades and maybe the Gaui blades. Rjx in the usa are about $11.00 and the Gaui blades are about $16.00. Rails on the other hand are about $40.00.

treff

Thanks murankar I could not find a supplier of rjx blades that had any stock in the UK and with postage etc not viable
from the US

murankar

Staff member
When I looked at them I went straight to their site. That may save you in shipping. I think they are in Hong Kong can't remember.

Top Bottom