Really don't want to post these!

Ken Jackson

The whole purpose of video is to learn as well as show others what to do or not do. I'm thinking I needed to do something in the 3GX to tell it its mounted upside down. I pulled it off my 500, ran the basic setup (non computer) and forgot I was going to check into that before I flew. Could have been worse. Scuffed the blade tips slightly, not sure about the two shafts yet. Put it back up on my shelve and I'll wait till the weather is better. I don't like that the 450 PRO does not have rubber on the skids. This will never make for a smooth take off. I'll come up with something. Wouldn't have mattered in the snow.

Enjoy, comments or suggestions always appreciated.

Ken

First Attempt - YouTube

Second Attempt - YouTube

Third Attempt - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
Check your blades very closely, I will almost bet they are delaminated.

As for the gyro, you are now learning the lesson that I had to learn the hard way. Always go completely through the entire setup process on the gyro any time you make a change. There is a way to tell it that it's mounted up side down, and it's at the end of the rudder menu setup. If you have not watched my setup videos on teh 3GX, click on the Articles tab then go into 3GX. They are all in there.

Sucks, but could have been worse.

EyeStation

A brave man doing it that close to your vehicle. Sorry it didn't go so well. Hope you sort it out soon.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ya, way to close to your car for comfort. Next time leave the car well away from the flight zone. Lol I don't know much about 3gx but, you need to always put a gyro on the computer and go threw the complete set up after you remount it. Even on the same bird. Just to make sure everything works like it should.

Tony

Staff member
Nah Sam, the 3GX you can completely do without a computer. But there are some parameters that you can do on the computer for fine tuning, but you can do the same thing on the gyro it's self.

Graham Lawrie

Unlucky Ken. I have done the exact same thing with my 450, fortunately I didn't have it on camers :)

Looked like correction direction on video one. Look at Lee, s video on it.

Ken Jackson

Nah Sam, the 3GX you can completely do without a computer. But there are some parameters that you can do on the computer for fine tuning, but you can do the same thing on the gyro it's self.

Being mounted upside down is one you have to have a computer for. I never changed any of the default settings regarding roll and flip rates.

Ken Jackson

Regarding the car since there were a few comments. I park near where I fly. I typically stand near my truck for safety. If the helicopter had an issue I would rather have something I could jump behind. I don't usually take off so close to my car but the weather and a place to take off from was an issue. When other people watch me fly I prefer they stand near my vehicle for the same reason.

Food for thought.

Ken

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Being mounted upside down is one you have to have a computer for. I never changed any of the default settings regarding roll and flip rates.

Not true, it's the final setting in the rudder setup. Torque compensation. Green for top, red for upside down. I have never set mine in the computer on 4.0.

cml001

Mmmmmm... Not good.. But it could have been nasty.. If it makes u feel better my flights today were sketchy.. Didn't crash but was definitely squirrelly...

Lee

Could have been a lot worse Ken.
What i do in my Gyro setup video, should be a preflight check every flight. Once you have done it a few times, it should be second nature as to whether your gyro is working in the right direction.
Just push the tail one way and the leading edge of the tail blades should point in the opposite direction. A very quick and sure way to tell if its working.

Ken Jackson

What threw me was the tail moving around at all. But should have been expected considering I was sitting on ice. My 500 tail doesn't move at all while spooling up. This little guy is so light.

Ken

Top Bottom