RealFlight Basic, is it close to the real thing?

murankar

Staff member
How accurate is Real Flight Basic to the real thing? I finally gave in and bought a flight sim. If this thing anywhere near close to the real thing I should have very few problems when doing basic flight. The one thing I do not like so far is the ratcheting throttle. I can not find the right sweat spot due to the stops in the controller. Also the controller is very limited in what it can do so not all my trims are dead on perfect. Anyhow I have put about 6 hours of flight time and I think I got the hang of basic flying with a T-Rex 500. Anyhow It is close to lunch and I need to catch the bus so I can eat.

Tony

Staff member
The sim is there as a teaching tool. To me, the sim is much easier than flying the real thing. To others I know, the sim is harder, so it's different for everyone.

As for the throttle. take the Tx apart and flip the metal tab over that is on it. That will do away with the ratchet effect.

murankar

Staff member
rcHobby01.jpg
Here is the flipped metal piece. Point 1 is what makes the ratcheting as you see it is pointing away from the throttle. Point 2 I had to bend just a little to get the washer and screw to fit right. The lip on it normally would seat in the controller to prevent it from twisting. I have not yet flown with it like this. It does appear to have the same tension on the throttle stick.

rcHobby01.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that looks good. Should do what you want it to. The airplane guys like the ratchet, but when you are flying helicopters, you always need to be right in between one of the slots lol. Never fails. And if that is the $15 sim controller from hobbyparts (I think it is), and you have a problem with the stick movement, let me know and I will walk you through how to fix that issue. I have been meaning to make a video on it, just never got around to it.

murankar

Staff member
This was the complete box set from Great Planes. It's not the best out there but it will get me learning. BTW I just flew with it moded and it seemed much better. Cycling up the rotor was way better and control well I need to learn that yet. I did manage a longer flight with out crashing so that's good. More pics to come as I continue down my path to a great hobby.

zapster

Yeah the sim in clearview is easyier than flying the real thing but the muscle memory you learn is the same.dont take to much advice from tony though cuz he cant fly anything larger than a 450 HA HA HA HA HA HA,just kidding alot of us on the forum were bummed out that he built a 500 and a 600 but we didnt get to see them fly.If i dont get banned from the forum for this post talk to you later,LMAO !!!!

murankar

Staff member
So far my reaction timing is getting better, and my nose in and side in are getting much better. I am also starting to gain better control over the heli in general. Basically I am getting to the point where it goes where I want it to not the the other way around. The skills I learned from flying the 120sr have not help one bit. This bird is so small that it is hard to fly it unless you already have some skill at flying. I would have been better off with the msr instead, but no I had to have the 120sr because it was bigger (lol). That bird has been almost completely rebuilt with new parts. Now I need new skids, those will be next month.

Top Bottom