Rch Quick Tip: Level Your Swash With A Zip Tie

Tony

Staff member
Tony submitted a new Article:

Rch Quick Tip: Level Your Swash With A Zip Tie

One of the most important things you can do when setting up a helicopter is to set the swash perfectly level. The easiest way and most expensive way is to buy a swash leveling tool. However, you have to order it, wait for it, then after about a week you can finally use it.

In the video below, I show you how to do the exact same thing, but with a simple and cheap zip tie! Have a watch and post your comments below!

[video=youtube_share;QSHXW9Sv1bQ]

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

Derek

I, actually, found this article very helpful. Many months ago, Tony helped me setup my Align 500 on my DX8 and since I didn't have a swash plate leveler, at that time, we used a zip tie. I was amazed!!! My helicopter is still flying very "true" and it's awesome!!!

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Derek. It's amazing how such a simple item can make such a huge difference. There is also a way you can use a small neodymium magnet and a needle to do the same thing without having to remove the head. Need to find a small magnet and a needle and test this out. A member told me about it.

Thanks Derek. It's amazing how such a simple item can make such a huge difference. There is also a way you can use a small neodymium magnet and a needle to do the same thing without having to remove the head. Need to find a small magnet and a needle and test this out. A member told me about it.
The zip tie method is great; however, I believe it'd be better if instead of putting the zip tie around the main shaft, you cut the fastener end off the tie and then glue it to a tiny button magnet. Then, you can put it on and take it off without having to remove the head; and you don't have to keep making the darn thing over and over again. Might not be a big deal for most, but I prefer a solution that doesn't require me to remake a tool and I hate taking off the head and putting it back on.

Tony

Staff member
That is a FANTASTIC idea John! A small little neodymium magnet glued to the end would work great. Thanks for this!

Top Bottom