RCH Edge 540 Maiden Flight!

Tony

Staff member
FINALLY!!! I'm able to put the RCH Edge 540 in the air for you all to see. First it was just the fact that I didn't have time, then I moved, then I really didn't have time, so today I just said screw it, this plane is going in the air.

Here is the video of the flight. I think it pretty much explains everything it's self. Let me know what you think!

RCH Edge 540 Maiden Flight - YouTube

EyeStation

"There's your Knife Edge Derek, and the other way,....Get away from that tree!" LOL
Thanks for showing the single servo setup. Did you find the flight more challenging with the 3 cell?
I will have to look for some of those 2 cells.
Great flyin' there Tony. Not your first rodeo I see.

Tony

Staff member
haha, yeah that second (or third actually) knife edge was started a little late and with the limited space, I just about hit that tree lmao.

The single servo setup is great. I will say that it's a bit more challenging to set up hence why there were bends in the wires. I put those there to even out the ailerons, not to try to angle the wire. And it works great that way.

About the 3s, I don't know if I would say it's more challenging, but the thing is just smokin' fast. I'm talking, way more power than this thing needs. Some people that are going to download this plane are just wanting it to fly around, which I think is what Derek likes to do. I know he wants to get into some 3D and this is a great plane for it, but I think he is used to flying quickly and not below stall speeds. On the 2s, I'm having to use a bit more throttle, but the climb rate is still very good. I did have to move the battery back as far as I could just to get some tail weight in there. I think I may need to add a penny to the tail to get it perfect. Yes, it's that close lmao.

But I would suggest, or anything over a 1300kv motor, that you run a 2s unless you want to try to break the sound barrier lmao.

And your right, not my first rodeo, but I'm still a craptastic pilot. I will be using this plane to try and teach myself some more moves that I can do in this little space. Which is fixing to get smaller since we are going to be putting a house on that field.

I did fly yet another battery after this flight, and this thing is just fantastic. 4 minutes and less than 600mah back into that 1000mah pack! I'm thinking about dropping down to an 800mah pack for 4 minute flights just to reduce the nose weight. I have a LOT of those too lmao. I have a total of 5 1000mah packs.

I was going to go out with a fresh pack and a third flight, but it started raining. So, the flights for today have been canceled. Which sucks. I was having a blast. Guess it's time to fire up the plotter and make a trim scheme for this plane so that it's easier to see in the sky. I was having a really hard time with orientation on those flights.

Sorry for the very long video and all of the figure 8's lmao. I'm sure someone is going to puke after watching this lmao. :throwup: :puke:

Derek

That's outstanding, Tony! I'll see if I can order up some 2S lipos this week. I also think that I can get my hobby knife out and make some incisions to the profile to allow the single servo for the ailerons. Great job, Tony!

However, all that aside....I'm just happy to see that you got out and did some flying. Not only that, it really sounded like you enjoyed it. Well done!!!

I do have two of these planes. The v1 and the v2. I'll keep one of them on a 3S battery (because I have them) but I'll swap the other one over to a 2S setup.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Put the 1700kv under the 2s setup and if you need more prop, go with the 10x5. But that 8x4 should be plenty. And you don't have to put the single servo in for the ailerons. If what you have works, then stick with it. What matters is that you are happy with the way it flies.

But yeah, I did have fun flying it. Crashed that one time, and just came back in from flying and almost crashed it into a tree, but it was the one behind me when I was chasing the dog lmao. This thing is just very predictable. Love the way it feels in the air.

Tony

Staff member
Well, battery 4 was all she wrote... Was tossing around the air then went to some fast full throttle flying. I was coming right at me and tried to do a very hard bank to the left but it didn't bank hard enough. Caught a limb on the Spruce tree that we have here. Completely destroyed the nose of the plane lmao. Time to rebuild with the plane that is going to be the Official RCH Edge 540! Where's my vinyl at? :biggrin1:

I did get video of the crash. Will have to see if I can get it off the phone that has it.

EyeStation

The dog finally had a chance at it, but hesitated once it was on the ground. Tough puppy!
It looks like the same nose damage as mine took. Did your motor shaft survive? I can see that you were coming close a lot at that altitude. Is it still a bit fast for what you designed it for?
Hmmm, wonder what the next color will be? And you are right, oh well $2 more foam.

Slobberdog

Hey Tony just got to watch all of it, and it looks great, am very tempted to do it myself, don't know about using it as a trainer tho, lol

Tony

Staff member
It is quite long, but I wanted to leave everything in there from the maiden flight so that people can see. Yes, this was a TRUE maiden flight. That first toss was the true first toss. It was pretty amazing at just how well it worked out.

This is not a good trainer, however, since you can fly a helicopter, I don't think you will have an issue with it. It can fly very fast, or very slow and anywhere in between to match your flying style.

And if you put the setup that Derek (1700kv) or I (1300kv) have on them, you can run a 2s and it will have more than enough power. This will save a lot in batteries.

Top Bottom