Batteries Puffing on Align brand lipos?

EastR84

I'm concerned about puffing on 2 Align-brand lipos I have for my Trex 450. Both are puffing the same amount (see photo) and have been run approx 20 cycles. Any idea if this is dangerous? or can I keep using the packs?

photo-14.jpg

Lee

How much do you discharge your batteries to? They shouldn't be puffing that bad after 20 cycles

EastR84

I discharge for approx 5 minutes of flight (i.e. aiming for 80% discharge, though I don't have any precise way of measuring).

Lee

Seems like that wouldn't be too hard on them, but without some way of measuring, you can't tell. And they are suppose to be 40C rated. As for safety, puffing is bad, but how much? I don't know. I have been using the same puffed battery for over a year. I just take precautions when storing. All my batteries are locked in a metal box, just in case.

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
I've got a couple packs like that, too. what happens if you puncture the skin to let the gas out? Has anyone ever tried?

Tony

Staff member
The cells are sealed and vacuumed so there is no oxygen in them. If you puncture them, it puts the final ingredient in the fire stew and are just asking for trouble. As gaba stated, just don't do it.

EastR84

I got a Lipo safe bag for the batteries, and it came with a small volt meter as well. Looks like the 3 cells on each battery were charged to over 4 volts. I ran them in the heli to discharge to a safer storage capacity (approx 3.8v per cell). Any idea what the optimal charged amount for flight is on these cells to make sure I don't overcharge them in the future?

Tony

Staff member
The max charge is 4.2 volts per cell. Most all chargers should charge up to this rating, then you should see the amperage drop as it's topping off the cells. As as you stated, storage charge is 3.8Vpc.

stokke

One of my 3S packs has started to puff slightly I think. I have never had puffed batteries before, so I'm not sure how much is acceptable. When I press down with my finger on top of the pack, it feels soft - is this correct? Or are puffed cells hard?

Tony

Staff member
Just a slight bit of puff, nothing to worry about. Starting to take the shape of a balloon, then time to worry. I have packs that have some air in them from over heating, but they are still going strong.

Well a nice good new lipo is hard as a rock the softer they get the closer they are to dying ie puffing more and more till they just dont work or in some cases start a fire. I currentl own a zippy 3s1p 2200mah that the middle cell has puffed and now feels like sand when u press it and therefore does not work anymore. Since I no longer can use it & there is so much curiousity I think I'll do a video on what happens when you puncture a puffed lipo cell and post it for you all to see. Not to worry I will be practicing the upmost safety with full facial masks and all while doing this & of coarse ill have quite a distance between the battery and myself using a device to punture the puffed cell. All in thr name of diy education. I just ask that you press the little thank you button on the bottom of my posts when I do it to make it worth my time to fill your curiousity buckets lol.

Top Bottom