Prop Project Hobby King Extra 260

regme40

Well the Extra 260 is finally finished and ready for a maiden flight.

So here is what I learnt. Check out the Hobby King Forum there are two links search "Extra 260 49" Build they had plenty of tips.

HobbyKing Forums - Extra 260 49" Build - Page 1

HobbyKing Forums - Extra 260 49" build - Page 1

Whats in the plane
Turnigy D3548/4 1100KV Brushless Outrunner Motor
Hobby King 60A ESC 4A UBEC
APC style propeller 12x6-E
Corona Digital Servo 2.2kg / 12.5g / .11sec

I changed all the hinges for nylon ones, which meant cutting out the slots for them to fit.

Use 5 min expoy (Tarzan Grip) using Super Gold Plus Odorless CA 1/2 oz (Foam Safe) was too quick if you needed to make adjustments. I oiled the hinges before gluing, but not too much just on the pin that way if glue got into the pin it was easy to break.

I used a canopy latch from Hobby King to secure the canopy. Make a template from cardboard or thick paper to work out where to put the slot in the side of the plane.

I also put CF rods in the front of the canopy where is slides into the plane.

If the Hobby King 60A ESC 4A UBEC does not work, try resetting it back to the factory defaults that seemed to work for me.

Changed the wheels to 85mm dia, but will try the landing gear it came with, although I do have CF landing gear to put on if the Al don't work out.

The section where the stabiliser goes on the plane needed sanding to get it straight and that might be a common thing with this plane.

Had to glue a piece to wood where the battery will go as there where too many holes to stick the velcro down to.

Doesn't sound like a lot but took me ages, thanks for all the help.

So how it goes when I get it into the air.

_MG_8475w.jpg

_MG_8475w.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Congrats on finally getting it together. I know it took me forever to finish my Edge. If that plane flies like my Edge, your maiden should be uneventful and fun since you have a canopy latch lol. If you saw my maiden, you know why I'm laughing. Make sure to get it on video!

regme40

Well tried the plane out on the weekend.

One tip make sure there are no dogs around, especially kelpies.

As I was taking off, the plane was chased by a dog, managed to get it in the air, but was too under pressure from the dog. Lost it in the landing, ordering a new plane. At least I can keep the wings as spares.

Top Bottom