Poe Camera Suggestions Needed

Tony

Staff member
What's up everyone. I am in need of a new surveillance system. The system i have now is quite a few years old and although works okay, I'm looking for something better. Since I have a server that is now running 24/7 as a file server for all of my computers and a backup server for RCH (soon to come), I might as well turn it into a Surveillance DVR at the same time. I'm upgrading from 4 cores to 8 cores on dual CPU's, I'm maxed out on memory, so I'm sure it will work, I just need the cameras.

If you have POE cameras and you like them, post up what you have. If you don't want to post what cameras you have publicly (since there are backdoors in almost all of them that are exploitable), PM me the link or information. All I know is, I need 8 cameras minimum, preferably 16. Yea, you heard me correctly. Or read that correctly I should say. Or type... lmao.

Post up your suggestions.

Tony

Staff member
I would like to keep away from Swann if at all possible. That is what I have now and I have had a lot, LOT of IC failures with them. It was so bad that I actually files against them with the BBB. It is a huge flaw in their electronics and they absolutely will NOT fix the issue. The same IC issue is still in their new cameras as well. if I have to go with them, I will. But I'm going to try to avoid them.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sorry to here that. Very strange because I've been using swann for about 10 yrs now and I haven't had a problem with them. I also have for back up a ZMODO system. I haven't had no problems with that system but didn't like their cameras. Check it out.

Tony

Staff member
I will run the numbers on the different IC chips on the different cameras. I think it may all be moot though, I think the wife just veto'd my ass. Oh well.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah, I know what you mean about the wife. Sometime I over ride the wife veto and take my chance at her getting mad and not talking to me for a few days which isn't bad Lmao!

Tony

Staff member
There is something seriously wrong with the Surveillance industry. When I think of POE, I think of Power OVER ETHERNET. However, below is the image of what the Surveillance industry calles POE, but should be called PBE (Power Beside Ethernet) because it's not the same. It's enough to drive a man to drinkin'!!!

pr64297img4sma.jpg

RandyDSok

There is something seriously wrong with the Surveillance industry. When I think of POE, I think of Power OVER ETHERNET. However, below is the image of what the Surveillance industry calles POE, but should be called PBE (Power Beside Ethernet) because it's not the same. It's enough to drive a man to drinkin'!!!

View attachment 21448

That allows you to choose which way you power the unit... Either POE or as a separate power connection

Tony

Staff member
Not the ones that I have had. I have tried POE and nothing. Add the power, and it works lol.

RandyDSok

You probably know this but...

If you are using an injector, its the camera more than likely... but if the POE is coming from a switch, make certain the POE function for the port ( s ) in question is enabled. I'm pretty sure that POE power on a switch is disabled by default so you don't accidentally burn something out that doesn't require power.

Of the camera's I helped Robert setup ( about 13 of them in two buildings )... all of them have that same type of cable setup that your pic has and none of an additional power connector plugged in, just the ethernet cable itself. All of his POE power for the cameras are coming from his Cisco switches that he uses.

Tony

Staff member
dang it Randy, now I'm going to have to go grab an injector and test this out on my cameras. I'm going to do it to one of my dead cameras, but the IR lights still work lmao. I have not yet purcahsed my POE switch, but I am eyeing a 48 port gigabit POE Managed switch that is wicked cheap. Older tech, but who cares with what I'm using it for lol.

Tony

Staff member
Okay so I went in and connected up a POE injector to my camera I had in there that I was testing with. Now, this injector is only saying 24 volts, and I know most if not all others are 48, but might have a boost converter inside, I'm just not sure. But direct POE injection with what I have did not work. I plugged in the typical power line, and the lights started working when I covered the sensor. So for my cameras at least, this doesn't work. I'm going to be testing this some more though because you have me wondering.

RandyDSok

I'd though that all POE was 48v also... but after reading your post it does appear some are just 24v. I guess at that point you'd need to see what your camera requires in order to know if your test was valid or not.

Top Bottom