Plane or Helicopter

Ken Jackson

After flying this SBach the last two days, I'm really thinking of going to only one helicopter and sticking with planes. Finding it more relaxing and these are cheaper to buy, easier to fix. And I am frustrated right now with my HK tail problem. But I have this to keep a smile on my face.

Ken

Really Liking this SBach - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
That is another one that I wanted to purchase, just don't have the cash. Planes are by far easier to fly. It's the challenge of the heli's that keeps me going. I was in your place just about a year ago, but I'm starting to come out of it. Just give it time bro!

Derek

I can relate to your situation, Ken. I have my Trex 500 and it's been a rough road to get to where I am now, which really isn't very good, but I'm learning. I have 13 scratch built planes and 5 of them are flyable right now and I love flying them. I'm working on a few other planes in hopes of some great flights as well. I'm hoping to get better with my 500 as well as more confident, but the planes are just much more relaxing.

Ken Jackson

I can relate to your situation, Ken. I have my Trex 500 and it's been a rough road to get to where I am now, which really isn't very good, but I'm learning. I have 13 scratch built planes and 5 of them are flyable right now and I love flying them. I'm working on a few other planes in hopes of some great flights as well. I'm hoping to get better with my 500 as well as more confident, but the planes are just much more relaxing.

I do love flying helicopters but damn it sure hurts when you crash them. I don't think I've had a crash with my 500 that cost less then $75. I don't crash as much as I used to but I also don't fly it daily like I was back in April and May of this year. But the plane can be repaired with glue most of the time, can't beat the cost of that.

Do you fly any other helicopters Derek?

Derek

I hear ya buddy!!! Especially with the planes that I make, using Dollar Tree foam board, when I crash...it's usually just a bit of hot glue to make the repairs. If the damage is worse, I just get the foam board out and make a new piece to replace the damages.

Do I fly any other helicopters, you asked. I have two, much smaller, coaxial helicopters. They are 4 channel, indoor, helicopters. They are what I used to "get my feet wet". I still fly them around quite regularly. Can't fly them inverted, lol, but they are still fun to chase the wife around with. She was resting on the couch, a few weeks ago, and I was hovering around and I was feeling the need to bother her a bit, lol, so I was hovering about 12 inches above her head. She didn't really mind because, as long as the battery didn't die, she had a very nice personal fan blowing air on her face.

I'm hoping to get a 600 sized heli, eventually. Probably around tax time.

Ken Jackson

I have all the helicopters I started with, not all functional.
Working
MCX
MSR
MSRX
MCPX V2
SR120
130x
EXI450
EXI500 My best
HK500 w/ IKON waiting on new part

Retired but not dead
Honeybee King 2
Blade 400 V911

Lost in the woods 4 ever
MCPx BL

Planes
Night Vapor
Mustang P51
Beast X 3D
Sbach 342 3D

No wonder I have no money to do anything else, Lol that all started October 2011 and I didn't list the 4 or 5 cheap cox ails I started with.
Wow!

Ken

Derek

That's quite the collection, buddy!

I was at the hobby store yesterday and saw an EXI 450 (I think it was an EXI 450) for sale for $60. I think that a customer has the hobby store selling it for him...consignment kind of thing. It's Rx ready with a few extra parts and an aluminum carry case. I might just go back there today and get it. For $60....how bad can it be???

Tony

Staff member
For $60, go get it and follow my latest video to make it safe. It will be just like mine, a basher that you are not afraid to crash.

Derek

after further inspection, and careful reading, that $60 450 heli has a 72mhz system on it. I left it....for now. I may still go back and get it.

Tony

Staff member
Depending on what system it is, you may be able to sell it to the FPV guys that are looking for distance. However, I think you would be MUCH more happy with an Align DFC kit. And by the time you upgrade this one, you will have about the same amount of money in each of them.

Derek

Yeah! Choices, choices, choices! I, myself, already have a Futaba 72mhz system that I plan on putting on my FPV plane (when i can afford the video equipment). Even though I really wouldn't mind having a 450, I think you're right. I'll just leave the $60 heli at the hobby shop and save my money. We've got IRCHA coming up, deer season starts in September, and a baby coming in December.

Tony

Staff member
When you are at IRCHA, take a couple bills to spend and pick something up there. Should be deals all over the place.

Top Bottom