Pictures to big?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
When I want to down load a picture from my computer, it tells me my images are to big. Can anyone tell me how to show my Pics? Thanks

Tony

Staff member
I always use a program called Photoscape to edit all of my pictures. It makes them look better and also allows for upload here on the site. We can't allow large pictures because they take up too much space on teh sever. Wish we could though.

Here is a video I made about how to edit pictures.

How To Edit Pictures - YouTube

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I always use a program called Photoscape to edit all of my pictures. It makes them look better and also allows for upload here on the site. We can't allow large pictures because they take up too much space on teh sever. Wish we could though.

Here is a video I made about how to edit pictures.

How To Edit Pictures - YouTube

Thanks Tony. The video was very helpful and it wasn't hard at all to download.

RandyDSok

Just to get the terminology used correct.... sending a file from your computer to elsewhere is UPLOAD... to download something you are retrieving a file from somewhere else to your computer. I often have clients misuse "download" to mean "install"... again that is incorrect.

It doesn't take much thought to use the proper terms... but more importantly is that others will actually understand what you are saying or asking about so you get the proper instructions instead of instructions for something else completely.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Just to get the terminology used correct.... sending a file from your computer to elsewhere is UPLOAD... to download something you are retrieving a file from somewhere else to your computer. I often have clients misuse "download" to mean "install"... again that is incorrect.

It doesn't take much thought to use the proper terms... but more importantly is that others will actually understand what you are saying or asking about so you get the proper instructions instead of instructions for something else completely.

Sorry for the wrong terminology.

Derek

I went ahead and installed that PhotoScape, too. I've been looking for a good and free image editor recently and if this PhotoScape is good enough for our OCD Tony to use, lol, it's gotta be good enough for me.

Thanks Tony!

RandyDSok

For free photo programs... for Windows based systems.

For my general photo editing... I use XnView from XnView Software · Software for reading, organizing and processing images ... they also have a newer version called XnView MP but I didn't care for it as much finding it harder to find the tools I wanted most... I use this for most of my photo resizing and cropping but it has a ton of post processing tools and effects as well. The browser/viewer is very configurable allowing you to select what size thumbnails even.

For my good photo post processing... I use Lightzone from LightZone | Open-source digital darkroom software for Windows/Mac/Linux also free but you do have to "join" them to download. As far as free post processing ... this one rivals the paid programs. It works with RAW images as well as JPG and TIFF's... it doesn't alter the original, instead it saves as a new file so your original picture is still intact.

Even cell phone pics can look good with the proper subject...

DramaticSky2.jpg

... or much more technical shots ( 100 pics stacked with a software named DeepSkyStacker to get rid of noise and then post processed with Lightzone to bring up the brightness/contrast ) using just a typical 300mm camera lens ( not a telescope )

Orion_Nebula.jpg

DramaticSky2.jpg

Orion_Nebula.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Let me put it this way, I have photoshop and I do use it for some things, but my go to program is photoscape. It's so simple to use and you can edit a lot of photos very quickly. If you are looking for precision though (need to cut something out, or very find editing), photoscape is where it is. ,

RandyDSok

Looking through the Photoscape program... for me it'd only do for the most basic stuff which I've got covered ( and more ) already with XnView that I mentioned... Still, for more detailed work that still isn't as complex as say Photoshop... I use Lightzone to get the most out of a photograph.

I am looking to get my hands on the last version of Photoshop ( CS6 ) still... the one before Adobe going to the Creative Cloud subscription version. For a heavy hitter on complex editing of graphics ( and photos also, but Adobe has Lightroom for the serious photography post processing ) there isn't much of anything as good as Photoshop which is why the big graphics companies use it almost exclusively.

Until then... I'll stick with the one's I mentioned since I can get a better result than what just a basic editor provides.

Top Bottom