General PhoenixRC Use and Next Step

Heliman450

Hi all, my first question to the forum is about the best use of my simulator. I've had the Phoenix almost since starting the Hobby and have also bought a new CD during my time (7 years with large breaks) as my first was a gift (second hand) with a Futuba Tx. My new Software immediately went to work with updates and finally ended up with V5 (I think). "I think" as my Laptop crashed recently and I'm no longer sure.

Rather than go through the same process again, I dug out my old Laptop and left it a week (an exageration, just seemed like it) doing all its updates before opening the simulator. Now, my version is V3.0r and for the same reason I don't want to bother going through the updates on the old Laptop.

I'm now considering buying the ACCURC simulator. Sounds like a great package, however, the number of models is limited and currently not showing any 450 sized helis. Two questions:

1. How does the Phoenix know what my settings are as most are in the AR7200BX sitting on top of my Blade 450X?

2. Does it really matter if I use a bigger heli in the ACCURC? I can never get the Phoenix to do what I want anyway I seem to find the bigger helis in the Phoenix easier to fly.

Thanks in anticipation of feedback.

Heliman 450

RandyDSok

RC Simulators don't know what you've programmed in your helicopter ( plane, boat, or car etc )... they can only know what the controller you are using are telling them to do. In other words... they know the throttle position, the rudder, aileron, elevator positions etc. Typically, I believe most sims, require that you calibrate each of those once so the software knows what the full throw is of each control.

While starting to learn to fly so you can develop the muscle memory... using an easier to fly model is probably ok but also remember... Your goal is to learn to fly with a sim model that most accurately acts like the actual real model you own. In the end you don't want easier.... you want one that is as close to the same as possible.

Realflight and Phoenix are probably ( arguably ) the two best RC Sims out there... they got there for a reason, their ability to accurately represent real models as well as the number of models they have available. Program updates allow these to increase that realism through either visual or physical means. So while updating to the lastest version may take time... in the end it will give you a more accurate representation to practice with. If you find ACCURC a more accurate sim... then by all means use it but the other two didn't get to the top of the list for no reason.

Heliman450

Hi rdsok, thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. I'm afraid Point 1 is a bit rhetorical, of course the simulator doesn't "know", sorry for that. However, my understanding is that the simulator will respond to the settings you put into the Tx. otherwise, what's the point of using them?

In the simulator, my virtual Blade just zooms off left. It seems impossible to just lift it off and have it hold a stable hover as I've seen done with a real heli many times. Surely the simulator model has perfect Setup for swashplate level etc. etc.

I'm just trying to understand how to get as close as possible to "like for like".

Thanks again,

Heliman450

RandyDSok

I don't have Phoenix... I've got Realflight but what I did mention was generic and should apply to any software... so I thought it may be at least a little help.

Just had a little time to look around on Phoenix's website and found a couple of other things that may help with it...

First the update can be manually downloaded so you don't have to go through the long update process ... see http://www.phoenix-sim.com/downloads.asp

If you didn't calibrate your radio to your software, that may help explain why the model zooms off to one side or the other ( if it isn't being caused by a wind setting that is )... Look at the FAQ labeled "My simulated models do not react to my controls correctly during flight" on this page http://www.phoenix-sim.com/support.asp

holtneil

HI mate you need to have a model in your transmitter just for Phoenix as a heli , you cant use the sim off an other model, like I cant use phoenix if my transmitter is still on my cobra, so set up a model call it Phoenix and then you can adjust pitch curves or use the sims pitch curves and adjust them to what you need or want , So I have a scale heli in the sim and that runs -2 to 10 degs of pitch , then I fly the Goblin 630 and that has -12 to +12 degs of pitch , this works for all sims , it easy to just use the sims curves and adjust them for each type of model you want to fly , if you want to fly aeroplanes just set up new model as phoenix plane

Last edited:

Heliman450

Hi holtneil, I already run specific Simulator models e.g. BladeSim. I currently have the identical Settings for the real model and get the same results in the Simulator regardless of which one is selected. Before spending the time doing the reload and update to get my Laptop back as previously, I just wanted to hear what Feedback I get. All good to now.

Tomorrow, I'll go through a reload as suggested by rdsok and give my Phoenix one more try as it will only be my time at this stage, no cost involved.

Thanks again for spending the time.

Heliman450.

Heliman450

Hi rdsok (Randy), thanks for keeping on my case and passing the link for a quicker reload of Phoenix. I'll get onto that as soon as I've finished my housework :biggrin1:.

I did calibrate my Tx. into the programme, a few times actually. However, I'll do it again after the reload of course. I'll also check out your link to the support guys.

With regard to my settings in the Tx. "Swash Typ" is set to the Blade's AR7200BX requirement of 1 Servo. The actual being programmed into Menu Point H's default of 120 degrees. Presumably the Software guys at Phoenix use the Default Settings. My Blade isn't set for all the default values (as purchased RTF). Incidentally, I inadvertently set my Tx. to 120 degrees on one occasion and it did mess up the AR7200BX control as per their instructions. Lesson learnt without a crash :yahoo:

Bye for now,

Heliman450

Heliman450

Hi there all, success! I've reloaded my Phoenix simulator and updated from v3.0r (from the DVD) and then upgraded to V5.0w via the link given to me by Randy. The Setup procedure asks for a new, default Setting model number to be used. It asks for the swashplate to be set for single servo (as per my AR7200BX). It took a total of around 45mins to complete from scratch.

First test flight seems exactly as my Blade 450X performs :thankyou:

Thanks for the Feedback and help.

Heliman450

Top Bottom