orination

i have this question that i need some advise on.when i'am flying a sim or the real thing and the aircraft gets a good distance away,how do u guys deal with the way the aircrfaft is and the distance.Example ,you flying lets say a heli and you flew it a good distance from yourself , till the point that you can almost not see it anymore.I have been on the sims and flying the actual aircraft, but that orination of the distance i haven't mastered.Is there a trick to it that i have not thought of.Have it from far away and be able to bring it back safely.What exactly do i need to do(with out thinking ohhhh crap)

Tony

Staff member
The easiest way is to not fly that far out. Orientation is going to the the hardest challenge in flying these helis. Once you master tail in hovering, you will start with side in and nose in, and you will lose it once in a while. Never fly the heli more than 50' away from you. Always keep it close. If you do get it a good distance out, hit the throttle and get some altitude under it, your going to need it. Then, play with the cyclic and see if you can figure out what way it's facing. Once you do that, go into a slow FF and try to maneuver it back to you. Most cases of losing the heli due to distance doesn't end well. I had my 250 do that. I was going out in my field, it was blending into the trees, then the tail glitched and turned the heli. I fought it for what seems like an eternity to no avail. ONce I had fallen from 20' to 5', I cut the power to reduce damage and let it go down. It's just the name of the game unfortunately.

Lee

Good question,
When I started, if the heli got more than 50ft away, i'd get very blurry eyes and not know if it was facing where i thought it was. The answer is just time in the air. As you progress, you instinctively know the last stick movement you made, so even if you're not sure of what you can see with your eyes, your muscle memory will be compensating by remembering what you did a split second before.
Just persevere, and keep it close for now.
Happy flying

Top Bottom