500 One Way Bearing question

Ken Jackson

Hi guys. I've been away for a while, not in jail but seems like it at times, Lol.

My question: How do you know if your one way bearing is OK on a 500. I am having a major binding issue and I can't seem to find anything else to blame but the one way. Everything spins fine on its own. But once I put the motor against the main gear I can hardly spin the head. OK slight exaggeration. I can spin the head but it won't spin on its own. I have tried two different sets of bearing holder and bearing and am getting the same result.

Any suggestions?? I would love to fly again but last attempt the tail unpredictably washes out due to this binding. Working on this today.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

One Way Bearing Bad - YouTube

Last edited:

Graham Lawrie

Check the motor pinion mesh with the gear. Also any teeth bent or missing on the main gears. Also check for lift in the main shaft. You should have none.

Ken Jackson

Check the motor pinion mesh with the gear. Also any teeth bent or missing on the main gears. Also check for lift in the main shaft. You should have none.

The pinion looks good and the main gear is brand new. I do see some vertical lift in the main shaft and will correct that but not sure its enough to cause this..

Thanks

Graham Lawrie

Hi Ken. There should be no play. Have you got the small shims to fit on the main shaft? When you engage the motor it would cause what you are seeing if you have play:)

Ken Jackson

I was just reviewing the manual. I see the shims on the top of the shaft. Are there any between the main gear and the one way bearing assembly. I don't see any in the manual but seems to me there was. Or maybe that was on the 450. Been away too long.

Ken Jackson

Not sure how but I had a non align anti rotation gear. Nothing visably wrong with it. Had the same tooth count. The white gear I put on it (Align) has a metal sleeve through it. The other one did not. I can not explain any of it. I have been trying to solve this off and on for a few months. Problem solved. Now I just have to thread lock everything back together and go through the whole set up again. I had pulled my DFC head and had an HK head on it so I know it will take a few turns to get the swash level to the DFC head. Its worth it if I can get it out yet today for a hover.

2014-07-27 13.11.27.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So to answer my own question it was technically the one way bearing but had something to do with the anti rotation gear. Spins like a champ now.

2014-07-27 13.11.27.jpg

Top Bottom