Official RCH 450 Maiden Flight

Tony

Staff member
Did a quick second flight after changing some settings in the ESC. First off, Align's Gov mode SUCKS! Once you hit the governor, do NOT go back down to normal mode. I did this adn ended up down around a 1500-2000 head speed. Very low for a 450. Thought I was going to crash it but saved it. So I need to turn gov mode off. However, I did get the fluxuating to stop by going to the next lower level on the LVC. More to come! Now to put the Ikon on the 600!!!

Derek

Maiden flight or shake down flight, it was still successful! You got to see how the 450 would react with the AR7200bx and you didn't crash, so no damage. That's a win in my book! It's good to see you flying....even if it is hovering. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, I wanted to fly around more, but the motor started fluctuating and I wasn't sure what was going on. There for a second, I almost took it out there and gave it some air, but then decided against it. And this Ikon on the 600 is pissing me off... I'll get it though.

Slobberdog

Wicked Tony, nice to see you back in the air,

if you do get around to use the 3Gx with V4 be careful as its a hand full if not 100% set perfectly especially on the small heli setting! got my tail dialled in by getting the heli to hold tail in rate mode first then it was ok in HH, but be careful of the servo and motor glitches that can catch you out! but not everyone gets them! it's why I went back to 3.1 I liked that and it's going great, if I can get it in the air, or grey skies that is.

Tony

Staff member
Nope, that was the 12t pinion. Normal mode was 0 70 70 70 70, IU1 is a flat 85 and IU2 is a flat 100. The reason it sounded low is because I had to replace the mic in this camera (glasses) because it was over modulating everything. Let me get some coffee into me and if the wind is not too high (have not looked outside yet) I will take her out and give her another go. This time, with my other pair of glasses that over modulate so hopefully you can hear it a little better. It's pretty high on the HS.

Kev, trust me, I know all about those issues lmao. I have fought with that gyro for a solid year now or more. But, dammit, I will win one way or another. I love that 7200 and even with it being just a hair twitchy, it's still stable as a rock. On 4.0, the only issue I have had is tail kickback. I hate 3.1, but will try it if I have to.

Ken Jackson

FYI I never upgraded my 3GX it is still 3.1 and I've never been uncomfortable flying it. Decided not to fix what wasn't broke,

Ken

Tony

Staff member
Flying 3.1 is fantastic. It's the ground characteristics, or lack thereof that was the issue. Just have to pop that thing off the ground quickly. And if your settings are not perfect, you are in for a ride lol.

cml001

leave the ec3's on... love'm I do! lol... you said the ar7200bx is twitchy?... what setting is the bx? normal, sport, pro, or extreme? are u using any expo in ur tx? it takes the edge off for me.. gov mode on the align controllers does suck.. I use a v curve on mine.. 95-90-95... I don't bog hardly any... everything is stock as far a gearing.. I do use 45c batteries... but that curve seems good on mine with 5% more to spare, I think its got pop.. may have already looked at this... just thought id try to help.

Tony

Staff member
I didn't like the EC3's because they didn't fit together tightly enough for me. My deans fit much tighter.

The BX I was using Sport mode. Everything was at factory defaults on that gyro. In all reality, it didn't need expo, it just needed the roll rates reduced by about 10% and it would have been perfect.

The reason for the flight being so short was 1. I hadn't flown in quite some time so my "Heli Fingers" were just not there and 2, I was not sure how much charge was in that battery. Turns out, the pulsing of the motor was a LVC warning.

I will never use the Gov again, I just thought I would give it a shot to see what it was like. I now know this, yes the gov works, but do NOT put the helicopter back down into normal mode lmao. Wow that was not fun on the second flight.

Since this video, I have stripped the BX off the helicopter. I didn't like the wires going all over the place on top of the helicopter. I have put the 3GX back in it with 4.0 installed because it makes me mad that I could not get it to work on the 600N. The tail was all kinds of funky. I would give input to the tail, then it would bounce back further than it was originally lmao.

I have taken the 3GX out for one flight under a street light and had to raise my gain on the tail gyro up more than 25% from where I usually have it. This locked the tail in quite a bit better than it was. Because it was so dark, there was no way I could get video of that. But I'm going to keep playing with it until I get this 3GX stomped lol. I have a member on here that is buying one of my other 450's and a 3GX so that he can learn it as well. Maybe then, I won't be the only one on here that knows the in's and out's of this gyro lmao.

I love the BX, but the issue is I know it works. I like more of a challenge than just flying. I need to tinker with these things. And the 3GX is perfect for that lmao. Well, until I crash it that is.

And yes, even on 4.0, it was still wanting to tip just slightly. But was pretty solid in the air. More to come on this.

cml001

I've never used any fbl unit except the AR7200BX... Owned and set up anyway. I flown the msh brain on a buddy 500 briefly.. But I only hear negs on the 3GX.. Lot and lots of tuning I here.. So u should get ur fill of tinker'n. I find the opposite w ur rate/expo stand. I like to keep full capability and adjust the speed I get there.. But get there none the less. Good luck bud! It's possible I'll end up tinker'n w a new fbl unit myself soon. Lol.. I just like the sound of that.. Tinker.. Lol tinker tinker

Tony

Staff member
If you have flown an MSH Brain, then you have flown an Ikon, it's the same software. And yes, you are right, when you are trying to figure some things out on something that doesn't work quite perfectly, there is a lot of work (tinkering.. lmao) that needs to be put into it to fine tune it to where it can help someone else. That is what I"m here for, I just wish there were more hours in the day...

pvolcko

I didn't like the EC3's because they didn't fit together tightly enough for me. My deans fit much tighter.

I have exactly the opposite problem. I find EC3s to be too tight, to the point of being cumbersome to disconnect. EC5 and EC2 I like quite a bit. Deans are good too connection/coupling strength wise, but I have paraboards for EC5 and EC3 so stick with them when I can.

cml001

Yeah me too... I'd short a deans... Lol.. But once u use ec3s they don't loosen up, but get easier to unplug. I haven't use the ec5.... I'm about to start using 6S pks... Is the ec5 better for the larger pks?

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you want to use EC5 (5mm bullets) for the larger packs. That is a must.

And you would REALLY have to try to short out a deans plug. I have never done it.

pvolcko

Shorting deans is tough, unless you heat it up too much while soldering and accidentally push the internal posts out through the front of the connector a bit. :)

Top Bottom