Flight Controllers No bind.

Wood1clock

I have been trying to bind my spektrum radio to a raptor 5 f4 tower. I did everthing in betaflight but I think that I messed up the fc. When betaflight screen comes up the port for msp in disabled. I have reflashed several times to no avail. This is my first attempt at using betaflight.

RandyDSok

You must still use a receiver or satellite to bind to, then you connect the receiver/sat to the flight controller ( FC ) combo unit. When they say the FC is compatible with Spectrum ( and others ), they just mean it provides connections that are compatible to those types of receivers, it doesn't mean the receiver is included in the FC unit.

Wood1clock

There is a dmx receiver on the controller. It is supposed tobe a LAO144. I see the problem as not being to enable msp. Could be a driver problem or windows 10 problem?

RandyDSok

There is a dmx receiver on the controller. It is supposed tobe a LAO144. I see the problem as not being to enable msp. Could be a driver problem or windows 10 problem?

I suspect the name you used ( raptor 5 f4 ) was incomplete, misspelled or something like that and because of that, I got a different product result in my Google search... in fact, I get nothing RC related even using the "LAO144." you just posted... So sorry if my info wasn't relevant in this case.

I would have assumed you could still click the bind button ( assuming it has one since I can't find your product you mention ) and bind to the radio.... then proceed with the Betaflight setup

RandyDSok

Provide a link to the original part you are talking about.... perhaps we can find a manual and catch something you may have missed but right now without specific data, it's just shooting in the dark.

Wood1clock

I am trying to bind with aspektrum radio to arris x110 hd 3-4s fpv Racing drone bnf. It is supposed to have a dmx rx La0144 in it. When I first got it the indicator light on betaflight usb msp was on. Now I can not get it to turn on. I have flashed several times to no avail. As you can guess I am very new at this. I think I turned off the usb port but now can't get it back on. I have reloaded Betaflight and still get the same problem.

RandyDSok

Ok... did a little generic searching for info that may be helpful... I searched for info about Betaflight and MSP and found a set of possibly useful videos ( in a playlist ) to help you possibly diagnose a little further. Please note that these vids are made for BF 3.2-3.4 and was made back in 2018, so some of the codes may differ on your version of BF slightly but still is relevant if you get the most relevant code list for the version you are trying to use. That video playlist can be found here

I'll also add some general USB info... about USB cables just in case you don't know it already. Beyond the different types of ends, there are two general types of USB cables. There are the kinds of cables only made for charging and then the standard ones that are for charging and data. You must use the ones for both charging and data or they won't work. Many of the devices we buy today don't need data, they just need the charging type of cable so they save a few penny's ( at most ) and send cables that are charging only cables. So probably the first thing we all should have suggested is to make sure you are using the proper type of USB cable that also supports data.

Things you will probably want to provide in order that someone here may actually be able to help you with your problem. Being a technical issue... details are very important. So in addition to providing exactly the part you are asking about ( as I already mentioned ), also provide what version drivers and Betaflight versions you are using. Perhaps also list the things you have tried, results of any testing you have done etc just so we don't suggest the same as well.

RandyDSok

PS... I see you just posted a response just before I posted that last one with some additional generic info.

RandyDSok

Ok.. I found the quad and it is indeed the original one that I found... by default it doesn't have a receiver but there are 4 receiver add-on options one of which is the DSMX compatible LA0144 as you mentioned. I couldn't find it ( the receiver ) as a separate option to purchase or any videos about the model that includes info on it in the review ( only watched a few and stopped ). So I can't give much info about the receiver.... at least I know my "google-fu" ( lol ) was up to the task when I first searched for the quad's info.... I suspect the samples sent out to the reviewers were without a receiver which is a normal configuration you typically will see on many of these.

Still, you should be able to verify that the receiver is on the unit somewhere by finding the model number on it ( maybe, if they had room to print it on there ) and it'll likely have two whort wire antenna's sticking off of it ( a few I've seen have only one, but they are less common ). I'll at least mention that when you are binding, make sure your radio is setup to use DSMX mode and not DSMR or DSM2 mode. The radio and receiver should bind despite any issues you have with Betaflight I would assume and others here can correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

RandyDSok

Ok... staying generic still this time about binding for the most part so you get more info that may be useful here or on later stuff you may come across... of course the details for your specific devices can vary somewhat from what is shown in the following vids. Still they will probably be of some use to you at some point.

First possible difference is how your receiver may be attached. The cable going from the flight controller ( FC ) to the receiver may have plugs on both sides OR one or both sides may be soldered together. Both of the vids are for the times that the receiver needs to be soldered because there isn't a compatible plug to use on the FC which is probably the most common since there are a "million" types of plugs used and no one standard type. Since your receiver should already be attached, this isn't so important to your current situation but should be handy to familiarize yourself with for later.

The next most important part is the one you are having trouble with which is binding. In the first vid, the guy is using both a Spectrum brand radio ( DX9 ) and receiver. He solders the receiver on as I described above, so that is shown. The receiver is also of the type that has the auto bind function, so you only have to use the specific bind instructions that your radio uses in order to bind with the receiver. This also shows a common problem that I don't even think about anymore since it's a typical issue... that is having the transmitter and receiver too close together when you are trying to bind. You need to have them separated at least 3 - 10 foot apart otherwise the signal is so strong that it overdrives the receiver and they can't talk. So just the opposite of being too far apart to "hear" each other. Think of it sort of like someone standing right next to you and just yelling in your ear.

The second vid that I will link to also shows the soldering portion... but instead of having a receiver that has an auto bind feature, this is one that requires you push the button on the receiver when you are powering it on ( ie plugging in the battery ). As in the previous vid, you will still want your transmitter and receiver far enough apart so you aren't overdriving the receiver with too much signal.

I didn't watch either vid after the binding process was complete since I was only looking for tips about binding, but that doesn't mean they won't have additional useful info to at least have seen even if it may not apply to your situation.

First vid is at ...

The second vid is at...

Hopefully all of what I've posted doesn't overload you with info... if so just take it a step at a time and focus on one part that is relevant to you. You can always go back to add to your info and experience later as needed.

Wood1clock

Thanks for all the info. I will go through the videos. I think that I might have seen parts of them. My receiver is connected to the fc with a cable from the receiver and plugs into the sbus connector on the fc. So i should be using sbus config in betaflight instead of spektrum?

RandyDSok

I'm an airplane guy... with a lot of technical experience. So quads ( or any multicopter ) aren't my specialty by any means and I have no direct experience with them. I do know electronics well enough that I don't find the info about their setup confusing at all... I'm just not that familiar with it. So if/when anyone else comes in and says something, assume they know stuff I don't just because I don't have that type of experience... With that out of the way.

I was always of the understanding that SBUS/PPM were what most Futaba and similar receivers are likely to use.... and DSMx was Spectrum. I don't know of any Spectrum DSMx that uses a SBUS/PPM port... so that sound wrong to me but again, perhaps there are situations that it is ok that way. So look for guidance from the others here and other places on that specific subject.

I will also mention, that from what little I've seen, the DSMx receivers often use 3.3v for power and SBUS/PPM typically uses 5.0v. Again, this could be from my lack of direct experience since I never have to deal with soldering in my receivers. So on these last two points, I'm going to refer you to the manual for your equipment since I haven't seen many of the various devices typically used in the quad market. I'd also be more concerned with the recommended voltages your receiver specifies than anything else I've mentioned. A 3.3v device may work with 5.0v for a while, but it lessen it's potential lifespan IF it doesn't burn out right away... again, it's a very important issue you need to find out about before you proceed much further.

I also looked for a manual for the included flight controller to see if that would help and there are some out there but.... A lot of companies make their own versions and all are named the Omnibus F4 ... there is the standard model and a Pro model ( also saw mention of a Nano version but not sure if it was a standard or pro ). In addition to the two models, they each have several versions that have been released. So to get correct info for the one you have you will need to know which company made it, what model it is as well as what version of that model. If that wasn't enough to complicate things for you ( being new to this stuff )... they also will have various firmware versions to also consider. The firmware is just the software it is running but what features each has will differ so will make some slight differences among them.

Oh.... and just to teach one last thing that is only sort of related that you should remember ( but even the FAA and many others get wrong )..... A "drone" is any craft ( aircraft of any type, ground, or water ) that can navigate on it's own by using programming and the sensors it's got incorporated in it ( like gyros, GPS, barometers, accelerometers and even in some cases video and/or radar etc ). A quad copter such as the one you have can be a drone... or just have basic stuff like gyros to aid in their flight but must be controlled by a person. So if it can't fly on it's own accord, it's not a drone... despite what the media, people in general or the FAA says. Just a little further, a quad can also be both, as one example most DJI branded quads can either be controlled by a person or fly on it's own and follow a programmed path and even avoid objects that in that path.

Wood1clock

Thanks for the info. I too am a airplane guy. I have at least 80 rc planes but most of them are nitro. I just started to play with this quad for the hell of it. I just have identified the receiver thats in the quad . I think. It looks just like MLR-82-b. On one web site they say it was a Futaba receiver. On another web site they say it is compatible with a Spektrum. I am going to try and find out which is which. Maybe the wrong receiver is in it.

RandyDSok

I've had two nitros. The first one I built was the Sig Kadet which later I gave or sold to my Dad because I wasn't into high wing airplanes and it had served it's purpose to learn on. I've only got one nitro airplane left... its the Sig Kobra and was the 2nd one I built. I has never been crashed ... which may have to do with it having never flown... lol. I was in my late teens and simply didn't have the money to finish it out with parts. It wasn't until much later in life before I got back into the hobby. By that time, the monokote on it was getting brittle and I have just left it as a hanger queen ( that is somewhat incomplete ). When I got back into the hobby, I've gone all electric simply because it's easier to deal with than finicky nitro engines, not to mention the cleanup after a day of flying.

I saw the same on my web search for that receiver, it's a Futaba compatible ( the later protocol F-SHFF, not the first 2.4Ghz which is what I currently have, aka FAAST ). So we now know why you couldn't bind.

Wood1clock

Now I got to convince rc-wing that they got the wrong one in it. They keep saying to send it to a repair shop in New Jersey for a small cost. I say they should send me the right receiver and I'll install it. I'll let you know how it ends up.

RandyDSok

Send them a picture of the included receiver.... and just to make a point of it... a copy of your original order

Top Bottom