neXt Simulator

Heliman450

Hi all, I'm starting with a new simulator to help with my practicing during the winter break. I saw Murankar's thread from 2016 and recommend that anyone using it does the whole installation and tuning themselves. My supplier installed it on my laptop with the RX 2 SIM adapter and a Jeti receiver. I was surprised when he simply said 'ok, enjoy the practicing'. From past experience, I know that there's a bit more to setting it up to achieve as close to reality as possible. I don't think I'm there yet but it's not too bad.

I started with the default settings for Dual Rate etc. and as my target is scale flying followed that style. For my personal taste all of the defaults carry way too much Expo (35% for scale). I'm at 15% now and that seems to suit me best. I went down as low as 15% Dual Rate for a short time and then worked it up to the default 45%. This seems to be satisfactory for now.

I'd appreciate feedback on any other users' experience with the flying style settings.

All the best in the New Year!

Tony

Staff member
I have been looking at this sim for years. How are you liking it?

And thanks for the tips.

Geena

Staff member
When I was using next, I don`t recall changing very much in the models. They seemed to be pretty close to realistic at the stock settings. I did have to play with the engine power on a couple of the nitros, because they felt a little under powered compared to the real model. But I didn`t have to mess with blade inertia, model weight, or any of the other settings.

Heliman450

Hi Tony, Geena, (et al),

I spent quite a lot of time checking the defaults for the four options obviously as it involves a lot of switching backwards and forwards. The only setting that I've changed for the model (SAB 700) is the pitch range, which I increased from 11 to 13 degrees. Prior to taking flying lessons my preferred value was -11 to +11 for the basic setup, however, my teacher prefers 13 and a 'touchy-feely' approach to flying. I undertook to try and learn this but up until now I'm failing with it. The simulator doesn't like it at all and the model does its own thing so I've returned to a 'curve' that is based upon min. stick -3.7 deg, mid stick +3.7 deg, +25% +5.7 deg, +50% +6.9 deg and max. stick +10.0 deg. My Jeti sounds a tone at 50% stick and the heli is light on the skids and gives me a range of about 15% of the stick to control most of the flying activities for scale flying and keeping the model in a reasonable distance to see what's going on.

My measure of reality is does the model lift from the ground and achieve a hover without much cyclic stick input. The simulator needs great care to achieve this and its tendency is to launch the model forwards so needing a significant response to stop it running away. My real models don't need very much cyclic input at all.

I don't really like using a simulator but its the only way to get enough stick time so I can't really make a judgement about how it compares to other programmes.

Top Bottom